1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GTX 980 not posting on P8P67 Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LeafyVern, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeafyVern

LeafyVern Thread Starter

This issue has been driving me nearly insane for the past 24 hours. I hardly ever post on tech support forums but, I look to you defeated, humble and with reverence.

I'm trying to upgrade from a GTX 770 to a GTX 980 and a new monitor to go with it all.
    Ever since installing the GTX 980 my system will not even post.

Here's what I know:
    Everything has enough power. I have a GS800-800w PSU and both the extra power connectors are plugged into the card.
    When I power on the system the fans spin and keep spinning. The red vga light comes on for 5 seconds and then powers off. I've tried every input and nothing seems to put anything out, except the DVI output which puts out a black screen. Nothing will allow met to get into the bios though. I've tried clearing the CMOS and that didn't work. I've tried reseating the card, and trying a different PCI slot, both didn't work.

What i'd like to know:
    Is the P67 chipset simply too old to support a GTX 980? I didn't think so but this may yet be the case.
    Is a Bios update posted for it in 2012 really relevant to a GTX 980 working on this motherboard, or just false hope?
    Is there anything else I can try, because this issue is driving me insane!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are not running the latest bios, then update with the old card installed then install the new card. The last two updates for your mb have a fix for nvidia cards.

Have you tried the new card in another system to make sure it in fact works?

If you do update the bios, make sure you read and fully understand the flashing procedure. While a bios update is not difficult, an incorrect or corrupted update can render your mb unbootable ie junk.

For asus boards, the only way I recommend updating a bios is by using ezflash and NOT any windows flash utility.

3. LeafyVern

LeafyVern Thread Starter

Hey there crjdriver,

I've succesfully updated the bios and check the card to be functioning in another system.
    I'm still not managing to get it to post in my system though. I'm seriously considering getting another motherboard at this point. I'm desperate. Have you got any other idea?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!