1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Guest Account Question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lightenrod, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightenrod

lightenrod Thread Starter

I have Windows XP SP2 and I don't use a password when booting up since I am the only user. I will be having company for a few days and want to set up the Guest Account.

To do this, will I have to set up a password for my User/Administrator account, and if so, how would I get rid of the password when the company leaves.

Many Thanks

2. NICK G

NICK G Banned

Set your admin user password and then turn on the guest account with/without password.
    When you wish, go back in user accounts and turn off guest and remove admin password.
    It will ask for present password and just leave new password blank.:)

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

It can be easily removed in User Accounts. But you might consider a limited account instead of the Guest since that account has no internet access.

4. lightenrod

lightenrod Thread Starter

Thank you both very much. I'm going with the "limited account". I just wanted to make sure I could get rid of the extra account and go back to "not signing in" again.

I didn't realize access to the internet on the "Guest Account" was a hassle.

Thanks again:)

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I assumed that any "guests" would want to get on the internet. That would be most peoples' priority when travelling. There are mthods of enabling it but hardly worth the trouble.

If you make a drive image, you can simply restore you whole machine to its pre-guest state.

6. NICK G

NICK G Banned

My Guest account has IE and FF available and I did not do anything remarkable.:confused::)

Edit: Sorry. Forgot I created a guest account so I could password it so it is a created limited user account named 'Guest'. Senior moment.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, think about imaging as a disaster recovery option in any case. It's very nice, when a drive fails or some disaster befalls one, to be able to restore the entire system to the old drive or a new one. It is the best backup option.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice