1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Guest user Share Enumeration

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by palasx, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. palasx

palasx Thread Starter

First, thank you to all the people here to help users on a daily basis with no reward but the satisfaction that their accumulated knowledge is being used and tested and proved worthy. You are all geniuses, genieii, genii...errr...smart folk!

AND normaly i would count myself amont you but this one has me beat. heres the long and short of it.

Windows 2000 machine has several folders shared on a WORKGROUP peer network with permissions set EVERYONE full access in share level and ntfs file permisisons (this includes guest before winXP). Some folders only have READ/LIST access for GUEST.

All users, both guest and users that authenticate as a local user on the win2k box, can use \\fully\qualified\UNC\paths to access any of the shares, such as \\Win2kComp\SHAREFOLDER and it works fine, they can access the contents of the folder.

Guest users, while able to use the UNC path, cannot "browse" the network. This means they cannot "net view Win2kComp" to get a list of shares, they cant use network neighborhood or computers near me to get a list of shares, all they get is an error commonly reffering to having the wrong permissions, even though UNC PATHS WORK FOR GUEST!

This just started happening a couple weeks ago, for apparently no reason, i have checked for any change in software but cant come up with anything. it worked PERFECTLY until it didnt, and now it doesnt :(

According to the event log auditing user logins, guest account LOGS IN OK, but just never gets a list of shares:
    Code:
    Event Type:	Success Audit
    Event Source:	Security
    Event Category:	Logon/Logoff 
    Event ID:	540
    Date:		12/9/2008
    Time:		9:40:18 PM
    User:		CHANGEDFORSECURITY\Guest
    Computer:	CHANGEDFORSECURITY
    Description:
    Successful Network Logon:
     	User Name:	Guest
     	Domain:		CHANGEDFORSECURITY
     	Logon ID:		(0x0,0x521377)
     	Logon Type:	3
     	Logon Process:	NtLmSsp 
     	Authentication Package:	NTLM
     	Workstation Name:	XBOX 

in this case you can see it is an XBOX, running the xbmc media center, that is attempting the login, but its the exact same for other 2k and XP computers on this network.

Please help, i just want to be able to browse my 2k file server like i used to be able to, and get a list of shares instead of always having to use full unc paths. like i said it worked fine until a few weeks ago and then it just stopped no warning. no software installed/unisntalled, no changes of any kind except day to day web browing email downloads and normal use. I BEG OF YOU I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING! :(

stuff i've already done/checked:
    folders have "Everyone" with read share and NTFS permisisons.
    folders also list "Guests" group in the share and NTFS permissions.
    computer runs Windows 2000 with GUEST account enabled and password
    blank.
    All computers can ping all the other computers. This is not a hardware
    or firewall issue, because sharing works with \\unc\direct\links, or
    with authentication, but not with "anonymouse" guest access.
    TCPIP uninstalled, rebooted, reinstall, rebooted. no change.
    Microsoft File and Printer Sharing uninstalled, reboot, reinstall,
    reboot. no change.
    reset Guest password to blank/empty, renamed Guest and renamed back to
    Guest, removed Guest from GUESTS group and then added back, disabled
    Guest account and then reenabled, reboots between each set of actions.
    Doesn't matter if user Guest provides a password or a blank pass when
    trying to get list of shared folders, still fails, but either way
    still works with \\unc\direct\links (or the stupid windows shortcuts
    that get made when you type in a path that end up cluttering up your
    network neighborhood.)

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!

2. palasx

palasx Thread Starter

sorry about the bump, but im still pretty stumped :) and desperate. any one?

3. palasx

palasx Thread Starter

still no solution, anyone at all, any stabs at it?

4. palasx

palasx Thread Starter

anyone?

5. Jtoast

Jtoast

It's been a VERY long time since I had to deal with a 2K permissions issue. Most of what I would use to diagnose it, you have already checked. Will do a little research.

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

Ok...refreshed my memory on a few things. What OS are the other machines? If xp, check your server logs and see if you have any masterbrowser errors (or any other errors that seem relevant)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/777993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice