1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

guidance

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by guidance, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guidance

guidance Thread Starter

I was checking to see if startup programs were working, so I placed my "calculator" to start at logon; how do I disable calculator? Where in regedit?

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    How did you get calculator to start at startup? Did you drop a shortcut to it into the Startup folder? If so, delete the shortcut from the startup folder.

If you edited the registry and added a key in the Run folder, it would be in

Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Winodws\CurrentVersion\Run

or

Hkey_Current _User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

3. guidance

guidance Thread Starter

I can't remember; I know I was testing startup in regedit last week; I tried what you suggested, but I can't seem to locate it;

I did locate SM _ Accessories Na... Reg_Sz Accessories and I wonder whether this is what I ought to delete; of course, I'd have to find it again.

Thank you,

Guidance

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Start, run, type msconfig and hit ok, go to the startup tab. Is the calculator showing there?

If not, check the startup folder.

5. guidance

guidance Thread Starter

Not anywhere; msconfig doesnt show

6. ~Candy~

What operating system?

7. guidance

guidance Thread Starter

Windows 2000 Professional

8. ~Candy~

Ok, it doesn't have msconfig. No experience with that OS. Not sure how to see what is loading at startup.

9. jephree

jephree

10. SylentBobNJ

SylentBobNJ

Bizarre issue, but I just saw this on a friend's PC where her Active Desktop was corrupted and the calculator would open at startup, yet calc.exe was no where in the registry for startup items and not in the Startup folder in the start menu.

Turned out, after systematically killing running processes, it was the hkcmd.exe process that was running the calc. This is usually a HotKey type item, so I didn't give it a second glance.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

-SB

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice