1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Guide for building your own system.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crjdriver, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator

You know the real difficulty in building a computer is where there is a problem--I know it sounds simplistic, but if you build a puter and not run into any difficulties, aside from installing the CPU and heatsink, which is a bit daunting for the beginner, its is very simple.

I always suggest to people for their first build (people I know), come over to my house and do it together because its so much easier when there is someone who knows what he/she is doing.

What I've found its these stupid little things that always screw people up--like when I bougth the wrong CPU for the motherboard and spend a half hour trying to figure out how in the hell to line up holes that wouldn't line up! :D

Or the time I did not have the hard drive power cord plugged in and couldn't figure out why in the world I kept getting a disc boot failure on startup! :D

Or like just recently when I had to replace the mobo on my Dell and I couldn't figure out why the same exact memory I had before didn't work. Well, I finally figured out that maybe one of the memory cards had gone bad between the time of taking it out and replacing the mobo--yep it did! :D (but still on warranty at NewEgg! (y) ).

I mean all the stupid and not stupid errors I've run into over the years as endless as the stars--being good at trouble shooting a computer is really methodical--a process of step-by-step elimination, which is why the anal SOBs like crjdriver and JohnWill and Brite750 are good at it--because they are so damn anal! :D The problem comes in though that when sometimes the permutations make it difficult to isolate the specific problem.

I had one build I tried everything--no matter what I tried the computer kept freezing up--I replaced everything--same problem--updated the BIOS--everything. Finally, I just ordred a new MOBO and no problems so it MUST have been the MOBO, but I still don't know for sure. So it can be very frustrating.

2. rexgrant

rexgrant

Hi
    What I have done when I have run into a problem is to remove all the bits and start again,This usually works and as you say it dose not take long.
    Regards
    Rex

3. brite750

brite750

well maybe I'm anal about computers, buts thats as far as I go:eek: .......not that there's anything wrong with that:D

man, you said anal and elimination all in the same paragragh:p

4. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

hey, if it wasn't for them being anal I wouldn't know half of what i do now.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I recommend everybody just go to Mulder's house when building a machine. The tech help ain't worth squat but Mulder buys the good booze. (He needs it, he is whupped)

Watching Mrs. Mulder make him load and unload the dishwasher, scrub the kitchen floors, say "Yes my Queen" is priceless. ;)

Actually and really, IMO the motherboard is the foundation of the machine. Know what you want from the machine and order the board that fills your needs. The board is more important than the processor.

Make sure, double sure your have enough clean power to power everything in the machine. There is no such thing as overkill in a PSU. Don't buy crap ram either. Check your mobo of choice to see what ram it will accept. Some boards are forgiving as hell and some will bite your arse if you do not read up......SUGGESTION, read up. Of course, test a minimal boot outside the case just to be certain you get a P.O.S.T.

;) Do not buy a cheap arsed video card and 256 of system memory and wonder why your machine will not play the latest games. I laugh at you guys. "No soup for you".

Sit back, look at Mulder and say "what, no bartender here or what?" ;) HiYa Chris, I hope all is well ol bud. :D

6. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

True story about not reading up on the RAM a motherboard will take.
    On my newest machine I originally ordered ram with 4-4-4-12 timings and my motherboard wouldn't take it, so I had to ship it back and get some with 5-5-5-15 timings.
    Ticked me off, but it was my fault.

7. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Mulder:

My favorite is still when you wanted to run the AC vent directly in your PC!

If you haven't already, start a new thread and post this info so we can help you.

8. jp1203

jp1203

My older IBM Desktop has no exhaust fans, but keeps the PIII 600 at around 85F, 90 tops, and both drives almost never go past 100.

It's got a 120mm Intake in the front that blows air very strongly past the HDDs and onto the PCI/AGP cards, where the remainder goes out the side vents.

The PSU has a fan that blows intakes right through the PSU itself and blows on the processor through a tunnel thing (which I took out one day to see if it needed it-it heats up quite a lot without it, let's just leave it at that) What air is left directly hits the video card. Sort of funny to me that it keeps it that cool with only one truly decent fan (considering the heat of the air after it goes through the PSU)

On the new IBM (whos fans I have to control w/ speedfan, otherwise they don't spin at all for some odd reason) there is an exhaust, a PSU, and a CPU fan. The PSU blows on the processor (as it sits right on top), yet the Processor blows on the PSU. I have tried reversing the Processor fan, but for some reason it heats up worse that way :rolleyes:
    I've never seen that processor go past 120 when the fans are spinning, usually it hovers around 95 though (but then, P4s run pretty hot) when the fans don't spin (if for some reason Speedfan didn't start, for instance) I've seen 180 and heard a horrible overheat warming chime. Don't want it to go that high again! I just wish I could figure out the fan issues...weird that I have to use speedfan to control them.

9. nitrowing

nitrowing

A note on static electricity:

It takes roughly 15,000 volts of static electricity build up to discharge from a person and be visible as a small spark and/or be felt.
    It takes 5 volts to fry a microchip. You can fry it and not even have seen nor felt the spark.
    A few moments to don a 'geeky' wrist strap or make sure you are discharged each time you go to touch a card or board is certainly worth the caution.

10. brite750

brite750

we certainly would not stop anyone from using a wrist strap, we will just mock you:D and without the aluminum foil hat to go with it it is pointless.

11. jp1203

jp1203

I've always just grounded myself, never fried anything w/ ESD...:D

12. doj

doj

It doest matter how much air you suck out of your pc as long as air can get in it will. I only use fans that blow air out. As what goes out some must come in to replace it. I always get worried about the temperature thats getting drawn into the pc. ,,,, My wife likes it HOT,,,,, DOJ

13. msandi

msandi

If you go to TigerDirect.com and click on just about any computer part: barebones kit, motherboard, CPUs, and click on a specific item, at the bottom of the page there is usually a Tips & Technique link to a javascript window for Building a Computer. It's really good for advice about what items to choose for a particular purpose and what order to install components.

There is another link for their Troubleshooting Guide which helped me recently with a problem I had with my computer rebooting - it had to do with me recently installing a new heat sink over my CPU, I didn't use enough "gel". So I took it apart, spread it fully over the bottom of the heat sink where it meets the CPU and so far so good! I've had my computer on for over 15 hours, which is pretty good!

14. Whistlinphil

Whistlinphil

How much is too much to spend on used parts? I ask because my boss at work has CPUs from HP Pavillions (probably Pentium II or Celeron) and I want one to tinker with. I was thinking $40. Is that too much or not enough?

15. jp1203

jp1203

I'm going with WAY too much.
    I'd honestly say about 5 bucks tops, since you can hack a working CPU off of just about anything you can possibly find. I have 3 CPUs on my keychain that I hacked out of machines and drilled holes in:

-166 MHz Original Pentium
    -800 MHz Pentium III
    -1.7 GHz Celeron

All of which came from

A) People who gave me machines to work on, and when I told them how much a new board would cost, they had me build them a whole new box instead and told me to keep the old one.

B) Machines I have found that were ready for the rubbish.

Try to find any junk machine and hack the CPU out of it. It's probably good.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/531492