1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Guide for installing and configuring Raid

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crjdriver, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator Thread Starter

You must first create an array; that is where you destroy ALL data with an onboard controller. This is one of the many reasons I tell people "If you want raid, buy a real raid card"

2. Nightfirecat

Nightfirecat

Can you suggest any good, inexpensive raid cards?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator Thread Starter

I use and recommend promise and highpoint cards. The promise 4310 would do the job for you. I use a promise 4300 and it does have the option to build an array without destroying data.

4. Nightfirecat

Nightfirecat

Ok, thanks.

5. CptBlack

CptBlack

Hi, quick question. Is it possible to create a RAID across SATA and IDE?I have 2 SATA drives and an IDE which I would like to all work together if possible, Cheers, CB

6. stone610

stone610

Hi,

Can any body sent the steps for installing and configuring RAID using the help of live screen shots.

7. stone610

stone610

Hi,

Can you sent the steps for installing and configuring RAID using the help of live screen shots.

8. stone610

stone610

Can anyone sent the steps for installing and configuring RAID using the help of live screen shots.

9. foraye

foraye

Hello,

Can you move a complete raid array (Physical HD non bootable) to another PC? I'm running 4 750GB WDs in RAID 0. I'm thinking the different raid controllers would be a problem.

Pls advise.
    Thanks

10. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

You can move a raid setup from one computer to another, as long as you move the entire setup EXACTLY as is. Be warned - Moving the setup can screw up your array and cause loss of data. So only do this if you have everything prepared and are almost 99% sure that you are able to move/lose your data, as you my have to rebuild the array.

Sometimes the new OS doesn't pick up the raid array properly, asks you to reformat, etc. It's the Raid Controller card that houses all the information of the array, so that's the part you don't want affected.

11. nvrsummer2

nvrsummer2

I have one question about raids. Can you set one up indepedantly of a drive containing the OS. I have one SATAII port and two SATA1.5 ports. Id like to keep my os on the sataII but maybe run a raid 0 or 1 on the remaining two SATA 1.5 drives. But independant of the OS drive. Is this possible?

12. foraye

foraye

Yes, That is the normal set up. a small drive and then the Raid set.

13. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH

RAID-0, it seems to be marketed sometimes that you can achieve somewhere as much as 200% performance increase. Well everyone seems to disagree, and should probably continue. I don't believe that either. On top of that, you can't call it Redundant AID, because it doesn't make it anymore redundant than before. Just a small mention.

RAID-1, I think that if one of the disks fails to read data properly, it will read it from the other drive and replace the bad sector/data with good ones. I can't remember where I learnt that.

One overall mention is that drives are suggested but don't have to be of the same model and capacity. And drive with 20GB of storage more than another will lose that extra space for example. Also the speed will go down to the slowest drive. So an actual pair of drives is suggested.

14. Jim2372

Jim2372

Thanks for such a detailed explanation. Maybe you can help me with a decision I have to make by Monday AM. I bought a RAID 0 (2 500 GB Drives), one failed - all gone. Under warranty and they offered to replace both drives and I have to stipulate whether I want another RAID 0 or RAID 1, the latter I understand will mirror the first drive on the second. That mekes me feel better, but my question, will the result of writing (mirroring) result in a big performance hit...? My logic says everything will take twice as long but maybe not. It's a quad-core CPU, if that is any help. Appreciate your thoughts and thanks ..............Jim

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594125