1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Guide to Reinstall of Windows

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Mulderator, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Too bad they always recommend a format just to do a Win9x or ME reinstall. You can get a clean install of both without formatting first. Sure is helpful if there is data on the drive you might want to keep. Now you may want to format for other reasons, but you certainly don't have to. Hopefully you can least make an informed choice.

3. mjbyyz

mjbyyz

While messing around with a Pent 4 machine, I attempted to install Windows 98 on a clean, formatted HD. [I have done this many times in the past on lesser machines.]
    I keep getting bogged down with the following message -

"While initializing device NDIS: Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer".

I can get into Safe Mode, but I cannot install Win98SE over top - it still "requires Windows", which is all but there, of course.
    What is the procedure for dealing with NDIS ?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

5. mjbyyz

mjbyyz

Great, thanks Bob, I'll take a look here and see what I come up with. I suspected it might just have something to do with size or capacity of some kind. The computer is certainly not at fault - in itself.
    John - 060929-23:01EDT

6. mjbyyz

mjbyyz

Well, I tried that fix and it's the wrong version od Windows - so it tells me when I attempted to fix it.
    "This update is not designed for your version of Windows" - 243199us8.exe, Q243199 update.
    I am trying to install Win98 and have no OS other than that attempt on the disk. I have to get this fully operational before I can upgrade to Win98SE.
    John - 060930-10:37EDT

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What is the technical requirement for you to want to have Win98 on such a new computer.

8. mjbyyz

mjbyyz

Merely to have ANY old OS installed on this HD to get this machine up and running.
    Since Win98 is readily available to do this, and I of course have the disks and don't use Win98 anywhere else, this is the OS I have available to use.
    John-060930-11:48EDT

9. mjbyyz

mjbyyz

I called MS and of course, now that July 11th has passed, they are no help to me obtaining the necessary correct Hotfix for this problem.
    John - 11:50EDT

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That's why I'm asking. At lot is simply not going to be supported. Also do you know that you have all the necessary drivers for things like the motherboard, video, network, sound, usb etc? As you see, trying to install a 6 year old operating system on a relatively new computer already is having it's problems.

Be better to just install something that is more current than the original version of Win98 like XP instead.

11. mjbyyz

mjbyyz

I expect I have those drivers somewhere, but didn't think I needed them for this simple operation.
    Yes, I might just have to beak down and purchase another copy of WinXP. But this is purely a computer to test and check Hard Drives, etc - hardly worth that expense - CAD$177 at TigerDirect for WinXPPro.
    John - 12:02EDT

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

As you are starting to notice, that is not too good of an assumption.

A 6 year old operating system is not likely to have all the drivers for a much newer computer. The wouldn't have been invented back then.

Have you researched before starting this to make sure everything is going to be compatible or at least download the drivers ahead of time. Nothing like starting an install and find you can't even network to get the rest from the Internet.

Also installing an operating system is certainly not a simple operation. If nothing else, just look at how long it takes compared to other things you do with a computer.

13. mjbyyz

mjbyyz

Right on!
    I think I'll shelve this for a while!
    [Pls see your website from mjbyyz]
    John - 060930-12:34EDT

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The problem wasn't so much testing the hard drive but the support Win98 had for that fast of a processor. The link posted references the exact issue.

15. purple_cloud

purple_cloud

You are right. I was reading something else near the time I was writing that. I should not multi-task before coffee. I deleted my post and ate my words. Burp.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!