guiena pig

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

evelyn aasen

someone gave me a hp pavilion 6333. i am running on a ibm. ibm is about to be completely out of diskspace real soon. figured i could use hp for a guiena pig. used fdisk to delete c drive. now need to know what to do to make hp usable again. have win98se install cd. tried to boot hp but cant get anything but bios. can someone please tell me how to reinstall what computer needs to be usable. thank you for your help. figure if i can learn how to get hp working again then can do same to ibm. or maybe someone can tell me how to fdisk on ibm and save all that is necessary to run computer properly. desperate for disk space.:confused:

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi evelyn aasen

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

I am moving your thread to the Windows 98 forum where you should receive more replies.

Do you have a boot disk for Windows 98SE?

evelyn aasen

yes i have a 98 boot disk and a 98 installtion disk but neither one will seem to bring up computer all i can get is bios

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
There is no blinking cursor on the screen when you boot up with the boot disk?

Are you hitting the F1 or Del key to get to the Bios?

evelyn aasen

WHEN I TURN ON COMPUTER it takes me to windows start up menu and tells me pick # ichoose #1 for cd rom support then after it finishes it tells me to type help and enter has A:\>_ _ is blinking

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
You did Reboot after running Fdisk?

At the prompt A:\>
key in:
format c:

Hit: Enter

Once that is done, put the Windows 98SE CD in the CD-rom drive and restart the computer.

evelyn aasen

did format on c now takes me back to same place type help and enter what do i do now still did not bring up windows

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
key in exactly: d: setup

The prompt should change to the d: drive
D:\>

key in: setup
if it does not recognize that command,
key in: setup.exe

Windows 98SE should start installing, after it does a routine check on your computer.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Which entry is it telling you that?

When you were in the Bios did you set the boot order?

Did the A:\ prompt change to a D:\ prompt?

evelyn aasen

D:\> is prompt but when i type setup or setup.exe it tells me bad command of file name what order should boot bios be in

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
The floppy drive should be first and it sounds like it is since the computer booted from the floppy disk. ;)
In the Bios look in the Boot menu or Boot order what shows there?
Boot disk priority
Floppy drives
Hard disk drives
CDROM drives
Any mention of anything SCSI ? :eek:

Can you describe what the Windows 98SE CD looks like?
Is it an actual Windows 98SE CD or a recovery disk?

Place the Windows 98SE CD in the drive of the computer you are using now, if it does not automatically start, click on the CD rom drive in My Computer.
Don't go any further, let us know what it does or what it says.

evelyn aasen

win 98 and win 98se installation disk got it from the college here computer class have installed 98se on two different computers with this cd i also have a 98 boot disk and i made a 98 start up disk when i installed 98se on my computer i have put boot order in order u said still tells me bad command should i try to extract files from cd or boot disk and see if that helps?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You cannot legally install Windows 98 on more than one computer. Who owns the license for that cd?

evelyn aasen

dont know i called around looking for 98 installation disk for my computer. needed 98 to go on internet. set up my comp then set up friends comp. cd is memorex. some one told me to call college and ask computer class about it , guy told me to come pick up hed give me 1. so i did. have question for friend while here. do you know anything about PC Mighty Max. it keeps poppin up on everything she does. she dont know how she got it or where it came from. she tried to register for tech support guy but again mm got in way. how can she get rid of mm.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online