1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Guitar

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by PritomD, Oct 6, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. PritomD

PritomD Thread Starter

Hey all, this question is pertaining to guitarists: I am thinking about self-teacing myself the guitar, but I want to learn electric. I am wondering, if I learn acoustic, will I have to re-learn for electric, or is it similar? Because we own an acoustic guitar, but no electric. Also, how is learning an electric different then bass? Thanks in advnace.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

PritomD
    I didn't learn to play until my early 30's and started with acoustic. I found acoustic much harder to accomplish than Electric but once I learned acoustic the only adjustments I had to make was fit and feel. Guitar necks very in size and acoustics seem to much fatter.
    If the acoustic is available to you then start learning the basics there and if you like playing then move to Electric.
    As far as Lead\Rhythm vs Bass there is no comparison. Two different styles of play and fret positions.

Just my two cents.

Dave

3. Paquadez

Paquadez

Agree with Dave.

I started at 14 (became bored with violin!).

My first guitar was an accoustic.

If you really want to be good, like violin, the first thing to achieve is the "Swan Neck" position of your left (I'm presuming you are right-handed!) or fretting wrist.

Two No Nos: (i) Never Ever support the weight of the instrument with your left palm: this will restrict your free ability to move position (i.e. change chord or register -key); (ii) Never ever be tempted to use your thumb to fret! Bad habit!

Firstly, learn basic chord shapes and the structure of the musical stave and how notes (and thus chords) relate to each other.

Then learn to play single string meolodies: pick out popular tunes.

Good accoustic guitarists use all the fungers (and thumb!) of their right hand to pluck the strings: bad guitarists use a pick (plectrum). If you are young and supple, learn to co-ordinate ALL the fingers of your right hand. Great foundation for later.

As Davey pointed out, the neck of an electric guitar is far narrower and thinner (to allow rapid transitions between chords and rapid "Riffs"). You can get used to this later.

Also and again I agree with Davey, bass, rhythm and lead guitar are all different disciplines. I have played all.

Boring as it sounds, start of simple folk music and even some light classics. This will build an excellent foundation for the future.

Eventually you have to decide which style you are going to head for!

Folk/country music demands a very high level of skill: as does good blues. Jazz is even harder: more chords, more progressions and more rapid transistions.

The guy to listen to, in my opinion, is Mark Knoffler, the greatest all round modern guitarist after Chet Atkins.

The temptation is to buy an electric guitar, an effects pedal, a cheap amp, turn up the volume and annoy the neighbors!
    Don't!

Put the hard work in up-front and above all, practise every day.

Every success.

Paq

4. Cédric

Cédric

Paq, I like it when I annoy the neighbors! It makes feel young and powerful! :) ;)

5. Paquadez

Paquadez

Hi Ceddy.

All OK today?

If I truned up my amp even 1/4 volume on the High ouput channel. it would shake down the house, let alone the neighbours!

Paq

:D :D

6. Cédric

Cédric

all's OK! a bit cold (about 20°C) and not used to it at this time of the year! :)

7. Paquadez

Paquadez

Colder, here, Ceddy.

I had to turn the heating on, yesterday.

I always put this off for as long as possible: not to save money, but because I feel it is symbolic of the end of Summer and Autumn! And the evenings are drawing in..........................

Paq

8. Cédric

Cédric

heating on? well, we haven't gone that far yet!! lol!! Autumn is usually very warm in the region!
    Play the guitar very loud, it will warm you up! ;)

9. Paquadez

Paquadez

It would most certainly "Warm Up" my neighbours!:D :D

Paq

10. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Davey has it right.
    If you learn on accoustic, electric will be easier.
    If you learn on electric, accoustic will seem much more difficult.

I started at 8 yrs old. :)

11. Paquadez

Paquadez

Blast it Lan!

beat me by six years!:D

Paq

12. deh

deh

Seriously started with Electric but then got into accoustic. Accoustic is great cause it's portable nothing like bringing one to a bonfire party or out camping, electric great cause it's loud and a power chord sounds a hell of alot better and all those neat gadgets and sounds. :D

Practice is the most important thing.

Do those finger excercises no matter how tedious they seem. Keep this in mind: Jimmy Page started playing accoustic and then moved onto electric. Some claim this is why some of his solos sound sloppy (because the electric picks up/magnifies more).
    So each person is different but the most important thing is:

ROCK ON! :)

13. PritomD

PritomD Thread Starter

hey, thanks all! im 14, and I have gotten into new rock music latelyand want to learn. If acoustic makes electric easier, thats great! Because we just have an acoustic here, and when I learn to play better, I can probably get an electric+accesories

14. Paquadez

Paquadez

Just for fun, here's a pic of my FIRST band, the Ailsa Five, three of whom met together after more than 30 years!

The white haired guy became one of the top Point of Sale experts in the UK and was responsible for launching Mueller Light on the European market. More on him another time.

The tall dude became the Chief Exec of Lloyd's List Group (the London City outfit that handles everything to do with World shipping.

Of the two guys missing, one is now a very successful and eccentric potter (after a career in acting) and he was the only one to actually have a record in the UK Top Twenty: and he was tone deaf! The other guy we could not find.

It's a funny old World!

Paq

Attached Files:

15. hotskates

hotskates

PritomD: Everyone in my family plays guitar, electric and acoustic. Lots of luck to you!! Rock On [​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice