1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Guys I need HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by digitalduck, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. digitalduck

digitalduck Thread Starter

O, I have a big problem with Vista...yesterday I noticed AVG caught something and asked me to heal, vautl etc.... so i healed but it couldnt heal all items looked like a trjoan yada yada etc.... a couple minutes later my computer went to a blue screen saying a major OS problem occured and it is shutting down i was going through some cycles and hten restarted..

So im back up in VIsta... then 5 mins later it would do it again... this continued for a couple more times while im trying to boot in safe mode and unistall anythign I could think of or wahtever....

So it did it again after i did a system scan....but this itme it came up after thw "welcoem to Vista" screen with a black screen, blocking my access to Vista saying something has changed the configuartion etc and it needcs to verify vista is genuine (it is) but it allowed me access to teh web to dl the verification tool..i ran that and its saying its not genuine... great so I restart and im back to the desktop..good...

However now I decide to do a system restore back to when I installed and up date two dasy ago...howeverthe error/crash happenedd during the restore.... so now im back to dedsktop...i tried restore again and now when it crashed i restart and...no longer have accesss to Vista because a kernal is damanged etc....

So...I get out my install CD and pop it in to run the system repair...however ..it is taking over 6 hours and its just hanging on the "attemting to fix errors" progress bar... its moving but I cant tell if its doing anything.....should it take this long? Now granted when I put the cd in to boot fdtrom CD it id take a loong time to get access to teh cd. You know how sometimes the cd will nto spin fast enough and it is slow to read it initially? kind of like that... but should it take over 6 hours?

What can I do? My only thought is that I go buy a new HD today...install Vista... hoo up hd as backup and copy fiels from my C to D then take new HD off and dump my C: to put Vista back in....

Dumb quesiton but its SATA and i just bought it (meaning im new to sata and not eide) can I just hook up this HD to an open sata port and it will show? Is there any type master slave settings i need?

OR...and i know this isnt reccommended, but can i do a dirty install just to get teh files off of C then format and do a clean install?

OR...can I , from the install CD, just make a new partition off of the sapce from C or D , install vista on that..bott from that, move data, then dump that new partiton and C and install?
    Thanks

2. gurutech

gurutech

Why not just install as an "upgrade" to what you already have? It won't delete any data (except the corrupted stuff), and you will probably only need to recreate user accounts and reinstall a few apps

3. digitalduck

Will it give me the option to do an upgrade ? I dont remember seeing that as an optin...or maybe i can choose it after I choose install...

4. digitalduck

5. gurutech

gurutech

If I remember correctly, it should give you two options when you put the DVD in... Install or Upgrade. Sometimes the "upgrade" option is grey'd out, so you would have to choose "install". Just be careful with using "install", as it might want to reformat the drive, and that would cause you to lose data.

Make sure you have a good backup before going this route....

6. digitalduck

I took a look and upgrade is greyed out BUT so is create new partition!! Arghh!!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice