1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

guyss pleasee help me

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by joeyDneedshelp, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeyDneedshelp

joeyDneedshelp Thread Starter

okay i have a windows 95 xp home edition.....i wanna know how to restore my computer to right when i got it like factory settings...the system restore won't let me go back that far...and i dont have the recovery disk....if anyone knows like how to "reset" it please let me know...greatly appreciated

2. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

So basically what you want to do is Format your HD?? As far as I know you cannot actually restore a PC back to factory 'settings'. You could format the HD and then reinstall all the software that was shipped with your PC.

Do you want to back up any data? Be sure not to format your HD unless you have all those important files of yours saved on another computer/HD/internet file storage site.

If this is what your are trying to do I will explain how to do it.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If the PC came with Windows 95 it is also possible the setup files are on the hard drive. Look for an I386 folder.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Does that computer have Windows 95 or Windows XP?

Windows 95 would have a C:\Windows\Options\Cabs folder and Windows XP would have a C:\i386 folder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You are right. It's been a lot of years since I set up a Windows 95 computer.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Frank:

You're way ahead of me when it comes to messing with computers. My very first one was in August 1997 with Windows 95 OSR2. I've never dealt with DOS or Windows 3.1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joey:

The only way to revert a computer back to its original factory state is with the recovery CD that came with it. If you've lost the recovery CD and that computer is more than 1 - 2 years old, you likely can't order one from the manufacturer. What brand name, model name, and model number is it? Does it have Windows 95 or Windows XP?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. joeyDneedshelp

Dell,Windows Xp home edition, i think windows XP and where is the model number on the comp like which one?

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    There should be a sticker on the back of the case with the model name and model number of that Dell computer.

Most brand-name computers also have the model name and model number on the front of the case.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. joeyDneedshelp

okay there r so many sets of numbers....how many numbers is the model number?

10. emoric

emoric

Hello joeyDneedshelp,
    We would like to know your system information... for you to tell us I would like you to click Start / Run / then type CMD & click OK / Command promt will open. Type, systeminfo and a list will come up. Give us the OS Name. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice