1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

h.265 Encoding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MoAshour, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoAshour

MoAshour Thread Starter

Hello, Everyone
    I was wondering what the absolute best machine I can build if I wanted to encode/transcode multiple files at once in h.265. I am especially focused on what CPU to choose, whether or not I should opt for more cores or higher clock speeds.
    Thank you very much.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Encoding is all (for the most part) cpu. You will want the fastest cpu that fits your budget. I've only used quad cores, but I would expect encoding tools would use all available cores. I know the tools that I've used do actually use all four.

Check motherboard/cpu reviews. All decent reviews run a series of tests (including encoding) to show cpu performance.

Also, you would be better served queing and processing one file at a time (not multiple files). Most tools will max a cpu processing a single file. Working multiple files at once will still max the cpu, but each file will be sharing the cpu. It will also likely hurt performance as it will increase HDD access.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are new to building, go intel i7. If you are an experienced builder, go ryzen 2700X. Ryzen has incredible multicore performance however ryzen systems need careful tuning in the bios to achieve said performance. I have two personal systems here; an intel 7600K [overclocked to 4.5 gig] and a ryzen 1700X [overclocked to 3.9gig] On a single core benchmark, the intel has a slight advantage [not surprising since it is clocked quite a bit higher] On multicore benchmarks, the ryzen system literally blows the intel out of the water. Doubling the cinebench cpu score. It is like the intel system should not even have come to the party.

In short, if you just want to slap parts together and have it work, go intel. If you are the type of guy who likes to work on things and does not mind making a lot of bios changes, updates, etc, then go ryzen.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice