1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

H.P.Recovery

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Mermaid, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mermaid

Mermaid Thread Starter

I have a HP Pavilion with a 40gb hard-drive,running Win XP Home HP. Recovery came pre-installed on Drive D as FAT32 and is taking up 4.33 gb, is it possible to burn this recovery to a CD and delete the partition, and use the CD to repair. ( if needed) I also have the Recovery Discs from HP( SET OF 9). Are these discs the same as the recovery partition? and if so, why the heck does HP need to waste MY hard-drive space?

2. jameso321

jameso321

All the disks will restore both the recover partition and the system partition.

If your goal is to make more space and you are worried about losing the ability to repair your system partition, you can remove the partition because you have the CD's.

Keep in mind that the CD's themselves are just and image and will restore both partitions to the out-of-the-box setup.

If I am not mistaken, you will lose the ability to do a nondestructive restore. That ability will stay if you leave the recovery part. alone.

I am not referring to the XP system restore itself, I am talking about the restore abilities that you have with that extra partition.

confused yet? I am :)

3. Mermaid

Mermaid Thread Starter

confused yet? I am

I am toooo,
    having only 40gb hard-drive, I would like my 4.33gb back that HP so inconsiderably mis-appropriates for it's own use.Are they really too cheap to ship restore discs with new computers, ( seems to the reason in most people"s opinion ),? I asked H.P.nicely for the Restore Disc Set and they very nicely sent them to me, so I'm happy there.

So, my aim is when next a re-install is required, I would like to have one large partition. H.P.Restore D:\ is FAT32, so how would I go about wiping that and making one C:\ only?
    Confusion is now, do you mean the usual restore point made daily or approx, and/or , eg, when new software is installed, or do you also mean sfc /scannow?)
    or just a "repair"
    or "last known good configuration"
    with thanks for your reply

4. jameso321

jameso321

You would use Partition Magic or a similar app to delete the partition and then Merge it in to the C:

Do some reading about the application. It is quite useful.

http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

I guess Symantec bought Power Quest - That is news to me.

jameso321

5. Mermaid

Mermaid Thread Starter

Thanks for all that, I have Partition Magic 7Pro, never used it, guess now's the time to learn!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice