H:\$secure is corrupt and unreadable.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tommo020788

Hi, I am having trouble copying files to a portable harddrive.
I copied some things from an old computer, then put it on my new computer, and I can only read the files on the portable harddrive.

If I try to write any files to the harddrive, I get the following error:

the file or directory H:\$secure is corrupt and unreadable.
Please run the chkdsk utility.
If I run chkdsk on "H:", first it comes up saying it can only continue in read-only mode,
then it comes up saying "error found - but it cannot continue in read-only mode.

Any ideas how I can get this fixed without having to back up everything to another harddrive, and re-formatting H:?

The WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

message means you have to specify the F parameter to fix any errors

chkdsk H: /F

try chkdsk /? to see all the options

tommo020788

Thanks, that should do the trick.

I'l let you know if anything else goes wrong.

Cheers!
Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online