1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hablo espanol ?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by hannab, Jul 18, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. hannab

hannab Thread Starter

I have a question for anyone conversant in Spanish – my niece was trying to get some phrases in from Google so she could communicate with a new girl at her day camp that only speaks Spanish. One question she wanted to ask was “Do you like to sing?” We found the translation “Tienes gusto de cantar?” which looked familiar to me and my limited knowledge of the language. I see it as “Do you have the enjoyment of singing?” My nephew insisted that the correct phrase was “Te gusto de cantar?”

Today I asked a co-worker, who is from Ecuador, which phrase was correct and she said “Te gusta de cantar” and that what I was trying to say didn’t make any sense. I still think it does and wonder if anyone else agrees. It’s silly, but I just feel that I am right :p

2. emoric

emoric

I agree with you and your co worker. :D

3. hannab

hannab Thread Starter

:confused:

but me and my co-worker didn't agree, she said I was wrong :mad: :p

:confused:

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

hanab,
    Could the confusion be that Spanish has informal and formal ways of saying things. This is because there is more than one meaning to "you" in Spanish (as well as in many other languages.) The informal you is used when talking to close friends, relatives, animals or children. The formal you is used when talking to someone you just met, do not know well, or someone for whom you would like to show respect (a professor, for example.) There are also two ways to say you in the plural, used when speaking to more than one person.

Encantado, cansado, enfermo, and aburrido are the masculine forms of the words. If the words refer to a woman or are spoken by a woman, then the o changes to a.

I don't speak Spanish but I think this explanation might offer an answer?

Richard.

5. hannab

hannab Thread Starter

Hi Richard :)

I know about the formal and informal, French has the same deal, but this is more over my wanting to use "tienes gusto" - you have like? or just "te gusto" - you like, the second way is probably the easy way, but I think I was taught that the "tienes" way was correct.....I'm probably being anal, but I just would like to hear with some authority that I am either correct or just totally wrong :D

6. Davec

Davec Gone but never forgotten

You're correct. You're probably being anal.

7. hannab

hannab Thread Starter

LOL :p I may have to be satisfied with that answer...

Not alot of Spanish language experts at TSG I guess :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

no hablo?

8. iltos

iltos

gustar translates into "is pleasing" and is the verb in your example.....so in a simple question, WHAT is pleasing in the sentence is usually at the end....in your case "to sing is pleasing"

to whom?

that's what the reflective pronoun "te" is for.....identifying for the reader/listener who the person is that finds singing to be pleasing.

so your nephew is right....he just declined the verb wrong...gusto is first person...."mucho gusto" is a pretty common response after an introduction....it translates into "nice to meet you".....but literally means "it pleases me a lot" (to meet you)

a "proper" spanish response (the one you'd learn in a textbook is "me gusta mucho conocerle"....literally.....it pleases me to know you

9. hannab

hannab Thread Starter

Thanks Iltos, but I don't know what you are saying beyond that my nephew is right. :p

I think I'm wanting to know if the phrase "Tienes gusto de cantare?" is proper Spanish? and how would it translate.

and if not

how would you ask a female if she likes to sing?

and don't throw any new words in like conocerle until I get the cantare thing down pat, comprendo? :D

10. RSM123

RSM123

Isn't ACA fluent in Spanish ?

She may be able to resolve this since she has corrected the problemo / problema in posts

11. hannab

hannab Thread Starter

RSM!!! how are you?

I think she may be on vacation...............again :rolleyes: :p

12. iltos

iltos

Si :p

as far as i know, "gusto" is only a form of the verb "gustar"....so in spanish, you can't "have" gusto for something, which is what your sentence wants to say

13. Davec

Davec Gone but never forgotten

Define fluent. She once posted about the difficulty of finding a vet that spoke English in Mexico. (I don't know why she doesn't use Chava's.)

14. hannab

hannab Thread Starter

so I guess I was totally wrong :rolleyes:

but I have much gusto for many things :confused:

15. iltos

iltos

EDIT: i went to babel fish....i think the difficulty here is that your sentence is absolutely grammatically correct....it is very proper spanish (Castillian)....but its not really conversational spanish....

so both you and your co-worker are right.....but assuming its a casual question, i'd stick with conversational....and that's one thing about conversational spanish...it varies, depending on which country you're in....i learned mine in peru, and i'd just ask "te gusta cantar?".....which babel fish translates as "you like to sing?"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice