Hacked!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stevek

My computer was hacked recently and a "Network Neighborhood" icon was placed on my desktop. Windows Explorer revealed that a number of files have been placed on my hard drive with various directories and sub-directories.

I have tried to delete the icon and the files and have been unable to do it. When one of the files are clicked, a pop-up window comes up asking for a password.

How do I remove these files? I am on cable and have Nortons' Personal Firewall.

Go to the Control Panel's Network applet

If "Client for Microsoft Networks" is listed there, you can remove it. That will remove Network Neighborhood and its components. Not needed unless networking.

I agree Rollin' Rog.

However.. A Question.

I myself have client for microsoft networks removed (It prevents netbios attacks), but am not able to save my dun password, which is understandable and probably better for security reasons, but have you had this problem/inconvenience? If you even use DUN. and know how to get around it without installing client for microsoft networks. (Win98)

I don't know about Norton's firewall, but zone alarm if properly utilized will take care of any netbios attacks.

I use zone alarm, but still like to have client for microsoft networks removed.

stevek.... You might want to get Ad Aware too.

I gave all that a try. It didn't work. It's not that my password won't save, it's I am not givin the option. The "Save password" box is grayed out when "client for Microsoft Networks isn't installed"

that has always been my experience with that. I just got used to typing in the password everytime and figured it was typical. My isp actually told me to have "clients for microsoft networks" installed. Regardless, my password should be able to save without "cfmn" and using windows primary logon.

I will just have to search the registry for another setting to control the "save password" checkbox.

I'll get it.

It's always been like that on computers I have worked on, but since you say yours works., then mine can too.

<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">Rollin' Rog's link says to change the value of</color></font>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Network\Real Mode Net\AutoLogon<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">,
from</color></font> "00 00 00 00"<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">,
to</color></font> "01 00 00 00"<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">.

This link:
http://support.ncia.net/faqs/98spass.html,
says installing AutoLog.inf from the Tools\Mtsutils folder,
(from your Windows 98 CD-ROM),
will fix a grayed out Save Password box.

This link: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q188/4/80.asp,
says installing AutoLog.inf,
will remove the</color></font> AutoLogon <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">entry from</color></font>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Network\Real Mode Net<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">,
(and gives different reasons for doing so,
other than fixing a grayed out Save Password box).

Is this just a different route to the same result?</font>

I think the idea behind reghakr's approach was just to get it to appear once; after which clicking "ok" is supposed to result in it being bypassed afterwards (if all the other steps were followed). I would expect deleting the autologon entry and having it set to 0 would have the same effect, ie, no logon box appearing at all.

<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">I understand now.
Thank you Rog. :)

Other articles I'd read referred to getting it to appear once, clicking OK, etc...

So, how else would someone named "reghakr" go about doing that, if not through the registry. ;)</font>

I checked out Signature's findings and tried that too. None of that helped.

Then it dawned on me!!!!!!!!

(This should have been the first thing I should have tried.!!!!!! duh)

I uninstalled DUN, restarted, reinstalled Dun, restarted.!

Boom Everything is cool now. My password is saved without having "CFMN" installed.

Thanks everyone for trying to figure this one out.

Sorry stevek for jumping in on your post to ask my own question, but you gotta admit, it did pertain to your question.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online