1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hackers delay half life 2 release

Discussion in 'Games' started by buddhafabio, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buddhafabio

buddhafabio Thread Starter

Half Life 2 leak means no launch for Christmas
    By Drew Cullen
    Posted: 07/10/2003 at 11:19 GMT

Vivendi Universal Entertainment has canned the Christmas launch of Half Life 2 in response to last week's leak of source code onto the Internet.

In a statement today, the games publisher said that Half Life 2, an expected blockbuster, will now contribute to 2004 results.

VUE says that crackers scooped up a third of the code of Half Life 2, making it "almost impossible" for bootleggers to exploit the leak.

Crackers obtained the code probably by exploiting a vulnerability in Outlook and installing keyloggers, according to Valve, the company which develops Half Life. Valve's account of the leak is ®here . ®

2. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

y do ppl do things like this for??

are they freaks who got nothin better to do?

3. McTimson

McTimson

Yea, projected release date is now April 2004.

I guess this means Doom 3 may come out first?

Oh well, this means I can put off getting a new video card until then.

4. moebius

moebius

aw, damn, did they think they could compile a third of hl2? or sell the scource(maybe, to bin laden;) ), i was really really looking fwd to hl2 !!! now ill have to wait some more :(

theyre not freaks, theyre deranged.
    what do they GET from doing this?!?

5. WarC

WarC

This sounds sketchy to me. I doubt anyone would "steal" a third of the source...maybe "copy" it. But "steal" a 100+ megabyte file from underneath their noses? Anyone who knows anything about networks and network traffic would know that would be pretty hard...

My guess, they used this break-in as in excuse to postpone the game again, without angering their huge fanbase. (The Team Fortress bells start ringing...Been in development since right after the original Half Life...nothing yet, huh?)

Conspiracy Theory Zone: Maybe they're postponing to "punish" us...the gaming community. I can see it now, all the Valve employees shoveling near-complete copies of HL2 amongst eachother, maybe even to their own families.

Evil Valve Man: "Break into our network, huh? We'll see how you like not owning HL2 for another year! HAHAHAHA! *slides HL2 disc into computer at home*

One man's thoughts. I told you I was whacked out. Wait, I've never said such a thing to anyone on these boards. Discussion over. About the whacked out thing. Yeah.

6. McTimson

McTimson

No, it's definitely real, they stole the source, as well as some textures, and were able to compile a sort of 'alpha' version of HL2.

7. Svenmonkey

Svenmonkey

That's pretty strange, unless Valve makes really redundant code. Having a third of the source for a game wouldn't give you much to play, since like 90% of the games workings would be incomplete.

8. McTimson

McTimson

I thought they copied all of it...and I think they did...because from what I've heard, this alpha version is basically the entire game, except for the missions.

9. Svenmonkey

Svenmonkey

Oh. Up top it says they stole 1/3 of the code.

10. buddhafabio

buddhafabio Thread Starter

MORE FROM HACKER

Description
    There seem to be many twists and bends in the continuing H-L 2 saga. While Valve claim that only one third of the code was stolen, even after the release of a, barely, playable Half-Life 2 beta version, rumours are starting to spread that a pre-Gold release of the game and its full source code may be released tomorrow. According to HalfLife2.net forums and to a variety of H-L 2 fan sites the thief has spoken and this is what he said about the beta and Valve's response:

To everyone saying this is no Beta: I'd like to point out that THIS is what you wanted Valve to release on 9/30/03, theres no such thing as a much better release in Valves network!
    I suggested to Valve to stop lying to their customers about how much was stolen. However, they disregarded my statement and called me a liar. Now they will see how much I have been lying when I release the Pre-Gold and all 100 per cent of the sourcecode. Actions speak louder then words.

Anonymous Leaker

The authenticity of this Anonymous Leaker cannot, of course, be verified until tomorrow and even then, only if the threats materialize.

If this is the real leak and he does carry out his threat then tomorrow could be the day that the final nail is hammered into Valve's and H-L 2's, already pounded, coffin.

Gamers can only hope that he is not for real or that he thinks about the reprecussions of his actions and does not carry out his threat

11. Dr3w

Dr3w

wow i hope he thinks before he does that

12. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

y would he steal hl2 it doesnt look to good to me..

what a freak.......lol

13. Svenmonkey

Svenmonkey

For the challenge of it.

The whole thing could be a sham to give a reason for an already-delayed release because Vivendi isn't quick enough to meet the Christmas deadline.

14. WarC

WarC

Thats what I said. Ha!

Maybe it's because I'm a dirty, no good kid, but I don't really sympathize with Valve...I mean, they've been playing this shadowy game since the original Half Life came out. They're pulling a 3D Realms by keeping hush-hush about Team Fortress 2 for YEARS...And then a series of unexpected, abrupt delays on HL2...not telling us whats going on...having lax security to allow something this massive in the first place. They've played all the wrong hands and now they're paying BIG... I think the last abrupt delay less than two weeks after it was supposed to be released was the final proverbial straw.

Game companies need to pay better attention to their fan base, and Valve might need to be "the example" on what can happen. Like most other industries, the consumer is pushed around a great deal...but unlike most industries, the common folk can fight back. I think this is the real deal here.

...And, on the bright side, it looks like we all might get to play HL2 before this christmas afterall *puts on eye patch and walks to store to buy parrot, gun, and ultra evil glue-on beard*

I'm not happy about it, but I for one think Valve had it coming. The gaming industry as a whole had it coming. Hopefully this will say to the rest of the companies out there "keep us informed, keep us your number one priority, because we put the money in your hands, we put the food on your tables, and we won't tolerate half-baked games"

We've been had by the big cahonas of the gaming industry since day one, and for once John Doe has hit back.

Now someone needs to tackle CA...They've been hyping up Rome: Total War forever, and they have a TV show based on the same engine showing on the BBC, and they just announced it would be ANOTHER full year before we even have a DEMO.

Come ooooon, obviously something like this has been known for months, and they can't bother telling us why or when until a few weeks before we think it will be out? What kind of treatment is that?

Kudos to you, Mr. Hacker, for forcing the industry to pay attention to us or else.

15. McTimson

McTimson

Well.....my...er...friend...has the HL2 alpha thing, and believe me, it looks excellent ;)

I think that Valve should have just kept the whole thing secret until it was done. They shouldn't even have released anyhting at E3. They don't need all the publicity, they know it's going to sell extremely well no matter how much they pimp it. Their mistake was making it seem better than it actually is...stop telling us about the game, and give us the game.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice