1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hacking computers

Discussion in 'General Security' started by werewolf1953, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. werewolf1953

werewolf1953 Thread Starter

My ex Partner has somehow got into my computer and knows my passwords and changed some of them.
    on the top of webpages right hand side there is 3 lines click on that new page opens go to options security
    saved passwords. there is a couple sites that he has changed uername and password .
    dates etc.

please can anyone tell me how can this be possible .also if i now change my passwords to all my sites i am on can he go into his laptop and look into the above as i did with the 3 lines

thanks

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

This is not a Windows 7 issue, this is a security issue. Please ask a Moderator to move to the correct Forum where you will receive assistance from those with expert knowledge of security.

T.

3. werewolf1953

I noticed someone got into my computer and got my passwords usernames for sites.
    they went into the 3 lines on right hand side of each pages click and click on options
    click on saved passwords.

the person i believe is my ex partner.dont know how he did it .last year he got his mate in london to put a team viewer on my computer with out my knowledge since we broke up late last year i found the team viewer and removed it.
    I would like to know how to stop him from getting into my computer and changing my passwords for sites i am on.

thank you

4. valis

valis Moderator

merged your threads together, please do not create duplicate threads for the same reason.

thanks,

v

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

There are several "remote admin" type of technologies around. TeamViewer, Logmein, Remote Desktop, TinyVNC, ( for a big list of them, see: http://alternativeto.net/software/teamviewer/ ) And then, there are tools which only hackers use and know about.

I need to know if you use different passwords for different web sites. Or maybe you use one of a few and they can be easily guessed like having the passwords based on some theme. If so, then maybe he guessed your passwords and did not go thru your computer to get at them.

6. werewolf1953

thanks for your reply I have different passwords for everything.all I know is in that open menu go to options security saved passwords and that is where i found my username and password was changed for 1 site only.

7. Tabvla

Tabvla

And how do you remember them..? Just by a good memory or do you write them down or do you have a Password Manager utility...?

T.

8. werewolf1953

i write them all down i have a book.

9. lunarlander

lunarlander

Which browser are you using? You mentioned the 3 lines icon on the top right hand corner, so I think that is Google Chrome. But it doesn't have a Options Security under that pull down menu.

10. werewolf1953

hi i am using mozilla firefox

11. Tabvla

Tabvla

And that book is always in such a safe place that no one, not even a trusted partner, could ever take a look...?

There are 2 separate issues here. The first a technical matter and the second a personal matter.

1. Technical. If an unauthorised person has gained access to secure information, such as a password, and it can be confirmed that this was done using a method that cannot be explained logically, then that becomes an important area of technical investigation. Is there a security "hole" somewhere in the system ?.... or ..... is there some unknown way of breaching a defence. ? .... or...... ???

2. Personal. If someone has gained access to secure information and then used that information to cause distress to another party, that is not a technical issue, that is a personal issue that needs to be resolved by the appropriate means, including taking legal action.

At this stage of this discussion, I am not as yet convinced that the method used to gain access to the secure information was as a result of some unknown technical weakness in the system. I am much more inclined to believe that access to the information was gained through "human error" in not keeping the information secure.

T.

12. werewolf1953

thank you for your information I have taken this to the police and they will look into it.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice