1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hacking e-mail passwords?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ConsumingHatred, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConsumingHatred

ConsumingHatred Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I'll try to be brief and concise.

Basically my girlfriend fought with this friend of hers and he's childish enough (40+ old man talking to a 18 year old girl) to steal her e-mail account and another account from this one game she plays online.

I'm really confused though because as far as I knew you could only steal passwords with keyloggers, ghost programs (like a fake MSN) or maybe sending an e-mail trap thing.

She swears she hasn't installed anything sent by him and hasn't visited any sites based off her e-mails. What's going on? Is there any way to counter-attack and retrieve her account?

I'm really angry over this idiot. If you can't disclose any information on how to counter-attack then please explain to me how in the world he could have done this without some kind of program or fraud?

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

There are many ways this can be done, you have listed a few of them.
    If she is sure this has happened, the only option is the start a new the email account.

3. jdean

jdean

My guess is that her friend found the password before the big argument, possibly by watching over her should, reading off a piece of paper, etc; or he might have just guessed it, possibly based on something she said. Technical know-how is not necessary to hack email passwords.

The legitimate way to regain control over an account is to talk with the provider and have your friend convince them that she is the true owner. This may or may not work; be prepared to persevere. It took me a week and numerous email messages (including one or two rejections) to get my son's Yahoo account restored after it was hijacked. If he hadn't been able to remember some of the info he provided at the time he created the account, we would not have succeeded.

The TechGuys do not allow these forums to be used for hacking or other questionable activities.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice