1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hacking xp website/book

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by oldunion, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldunion

oldunion Thread Starter

I heard about a version of windows xp that modders were calling barely naked. well i looked at this book, and it doesnt sound too hardcore as far as slimming down the system goes. i saw some other books, namely windows xp power tools, and one other i forget.

im looking for ways to delete internet explorer and other so called "unremovable" system components. i use linux and my windows xp pro is just something that id like to hack, chop, and mod down to its very core. i also have only alotted 1.3 gigs for windows and 30 something for linux, of a 40gb hd. i have an interface to access my p2p, firefox, and this is essentially all i need.

is there a book someone recommends or a website explaining how to do these things?

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

3. matt_aj

matt_aj

Internet explorer and windows explorer are one in the same. If you don't have explorer, you don't have windows. When you Add/Remove IE from Windows Components in the control panel, all it does it gets rid of the icon. In XP it's different than 98. You can't uninstall IE because IE is Windows Explorer.

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi oldunion,

Try looking at Mark Russinovich's blog at his website: http://www.sysinternals.com

Lots of free system utilities also.

He wrote an article in his blog about being able to strip Windows down to its core and run it without any services. He asked the gurus and management poobahs at MS is it was possible, and was told it was not, and then proceeded to pop their eyes out demonstrating it.

Disclaimer - DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME, as you may have to wind up having to reinstall your system.

Here's the reference link:
    * Running Windows with no services
    http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/07/running-windows-with-no-services.html

-- Tom

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice