1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Had Blue Screen now computer only boots to BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Gympie, Apr 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gympie

Gympie Thread Starter

I had a random blue-screen whilst watching YouTube stop code: Memory_Management. I restarted my computer and now it only boots to BIOS. Please Help. I'm running Windows 10, GTX 1080, 16GB of ram, Intel i5 8700k and an asus motherboard.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

There is a lack of detail
    No make and model of the computer
    No mention of what you have tried
    As a first suggestion gain access to the ram sticks if you can
    ON some laptops and notebooks this in itself is a major job
    On others it is simply a panel on the base of the laptop
    If it is a desktop, providing it is not an all in one, you should have no difficulty
    Take out a stick of ram and try again - providing of course there is more than one stick

Then try the other stick. If it is a bad stick the computer may then boot

If that does not work enter BIOS setup
    select optimized defaults and save and exit BIOS normally that is F10 check - BIOS for save and exit
    and then try again.

If no good post some details as mentioned

3. Gympie

Gympie Thread Starter

I apologize for a lack of detail my good sir.
    Its a desktop computer and I have no idea what you mean about my computers make and model unfortunately.
    I removed and put back in the ram sticks and rebooted to no success.
    I tried booting on each ram stick separately to no success.
    I reverted to default settings in the BIOS, saved and exited to no success.
    I've played around with the boot order settings to no success.

Thanks for the reply if I've missed any information just let me know, cheers.

4. Macboatmaster

Is there anything connected to the desktop except, mouse keyboard and monitor
    If so disconnect it - such as usb sticks or drives, printer, xbox, etc.
    Then try again to boot.

If that does not work, go back to BIOS and see if the hard drive, ssd drive etc is seen in BIOS
    Also check in BIOS what is shown on boot options screen

If this is an ASUS desktop such as here
    https://www.asus.com/uk/Tower-PCs/
    it will have a label somewhere on the tower showing the model number
    If it has that please post it so I can identify the motherboard model OR if you know post the full model of the board

5. Gympie

Gympie Thread Starter

unplugged all unnecessary devices and rebooted to no success.
    Both the SSD and HDD are visible and I can change there boot order etc.
    It's a custom built Desktop PC but the motherboard model is TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING

6. Macboatmaster

Power on as usual
    Then on BIOS screen press RESET switch, that is the reset button, on the tower, see what happens

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  7. Gympie

Gympie Thread Starter

It just reloads back to the BIOS

8. Macboatmaster

Can you make yourself a Windows 10 installation USB or DVD
    We are not at this stage going to use it for a clean install, we are going to use it to attempt repair.
    Go here
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    follow the instructions for
    Follow these steps to create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10.
    under the heading
    Using the tool to create installation media.

You must select the bit version of your current installation - 32 or 64 bit - usually 64bit.
    The language version
    The you want Windows 10 as that covers both the Home and Pro versions

If you are creating a USB stick then that will automatically write the install media to the usb stick, you do not need Rufus or any other such third party app, but you must follow the procedure shown on the link and not simply copy the download of the tool to the usb.

Obviously you will need to do this on another computer

Post back if you have any queries OR when you have the USB made and have checked that it will boot the laptop to the USB rather than back to BIOS
    You may need to enter BIOS to set the boot option to the USB or when the first screen appears on the monitor - the Asus logo, you press F8 for
    boot options WITH the USB already connected then you should see the selection of boot options including the USB.

9. Gympie

Gympie Thread Starter

Hey mate cheers for the help. But I took my computer into the shop and apparently my SSD had a bad sector and this sector had the boot sequence. They got the data of it and said i was lucky that they could successfully get the data of the SSD. Have a new SSD now with the data form the old one. Computer is back to normal. They advised me that the Kingston brand SSD had many issues that they noticed from customers and there personal experiences. I had only had this SSD for around 5 months or so. They replaced it with a Samsung SSD.

But nevertheless the fact that you come on here and dedicate your time to helping people is great and i greatly respect you and your efforts, cheers.

10. Macboatmaster

Cheers Pleased you got it sorted
    You do not by any chance keep the computer in an area where airflow is restricted do you - such as some form of unit etc.
    Although temp issues are not usually the cause a consistently high temp in the case for the area of the SDD can result in early introduction of bad blocks
    https://harddrivegeek.com/ssd-temperature/

OR use some third party system management tool that is regularly cleaning the supposedly unrequired files of the SDD

Also it may NOT have been an actual bad block but a reported bad block from a power loss while data was being written to the SSD
    However as I said pleased it was sorted and in view of the short life of the Kingston I would certainly raise a case with Kingston - not only to claim under warranty for the drive but also for the small cost of returning it, they may well advise the apparent cause
    https://www.kingston.com/en/support/rma-eu-notice

which MAY save the chance of early failure of the new SSD

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice