1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Had DMZ open for like a month...

Discussion in 'General Security' started by john2013, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john2013

john2013 Thread Starter

I just noticed one of the local IP's on my router changed awhile ago...probably from a power outage. And that what I thought was my Xbox 360 IP that was DMZ'd On was actually my Laptop.

And it was like this for a good month..

My wireless laptop (in which the DMZ was on) is Vista and always had the latest windows updates, virus updates - norton 360 / malware protection and all that.

Just wondering how hard/easy it would of been for a hacker to gain access during that period of around a month ? I did not have FTP'ing going on or anything like that. Just wondering if hackers would of been able to see the sites I accessed during that time and stuff ? or anything similar ?

Every site I checked regarding this issue before posting was pretty 'vague' about what a hacker could of done in this instance.

The thing that sucks about having a linksys wireless router, is they make ya paranoid because you could view the Incoming Log from the router. And the Incoming Log always has weird activity... like the other day some IP from China was trying to access (or maybe was accessing) the 'webcache' port. I guessing they never had access and it was blocked from the router, but how do I know for sure ? Seems like newer routers and the more popular ones , don't even have the Incoming Log feature.

any help on all this is much appreciated.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just look at it as the same thing as your having been connected directly to the internet, as many people are. The router adds an extra layer of protection, but your PC should be well enough protected by itself to be able to be connected to the net.

So, the chances are slim, even if someone knew your IP address and came after you specifically. Whether they could even find an open port due to your firewall settings is even another question. And why would your machine even present as a target? Do you have the plans for the big, new weapon on your hard drive? Other than CC numbers, which they can get by easier methods, most hackers would consider hacking you a waste of time (nothing personal). It's a far more productive use of the hacker's precious time to go after things that are already known to pay off.

I have one machine, for special purposes, that I run through the DMZ all the time. No damage to report yet! :D

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Is the Vista firewall on ? And what profile is it using ? ( Domain, Private or Public ). If it is on, and using the public profile, then you are pretty safe.

I have read that they could enumerate user account names and machine names. And then, of course, they will start guessing passwords.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice