Had Linux, Got rid of it... MBR help please!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

boostaddict

:eek: hey, I have two 80 gig HDD's, i had linux installed on my slave, I wanted to get rid of it so I deleted some partitions, partition magic then went to restart, I got an GRUB Error 17 error when trying to boot back up, i put in my XP cd, somehow go back into windows by fluke

I know if I restart my computer again it will give me the same problem, so how I can reset my MBR to boot into windows correctly.

I am running SP2 Pro.
Any help would be greatly appreaciated, thanks a lot!

Let me know if i need anymore details! thanks !

Set the BIOS settings to make your WinXP hdd first in HDD boot order. Then boot your WinXP CD. Get into the recovery console and type the "fixmbr" command. Reboot your comp without the XP CD and you should go straight into Windows.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Boot an MS-DOS floppy, and type:

FDISK /MBR

This should nuke GRUB and allow the standard XP boot process to function.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online