Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Had My Computer Serviced (Power Source)

670 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  NiteHawk 
#1 ·
I just wanted to share here about my computer in case someone might be having the same problem.

About a month or maybe longer my computer (tower) started making weird noises a noise that I have not heard before as my computer unusually hums smoothly. When I would turn my computer on this is when the noise would occur and would last for about two to three minutes before going back to the hum smooth sound I am use to.

Well, anyway while on my computer last week out of the blue I started smelling something burning in my tower and the next thing I know my computer went completely blank no sound, no picture, no power, no nothing.

I took it in to have it serviced where I had it build and found out it was the power source and luckly lost no data or programs.

So if anyone is having problems with weird noise coming from the computer it just maybe this and have it serviced or at least have it looked at.

Mackoo :D

#3 ·
Yeah for sure Mobo. I know the back of the tower was so hot I could have fried an egg on it.

Looks like a power source would last longer than 20 months but it's like anything you never know when something is going to break.

Thanks Mobo good advice luckly mine didn't catch fire but it sure smelled like it.

Mackoo:D

#4 ·
The noise you heard was most likely the power supply fan going.
Fans are critical. So is keeping the insides clean and dust free.
A can of compressed air goes a long way in keeping things clean and running cool.

#5 ·
BTW, just curious, how much did the repair shop charge you?

#6 ·
Ok looking at this Description on the bill in shop labor was $55.00 and the power supply was an ATNG ATX AMD APPROVED 350 WATT POWER SUPPY he also replaced the Video Driver for whatever reason that went out but total was $90.00

Sound fair?

Mackoo:D

#7 ·
Sounds like a fair price to me. I'm in the Chicago area and with the higher labor rate that probably would have run around $150 or so.

I've only taken a pc into a shop once in my life, so I'm really not up on prices.

#8 ·
Know what you mean NiteHawk. Me living in a small town makes a big difference on labor cost I'm sure.

I lived 24 years in southern cook county in Chicago Heights before moving here to Tennessee in 83.

I really miss the subzero weather hee-hee!! The year I left I believe the wind chill was down to 60 below with the regular temp at 16 below. My beard was froze over trying to help my neighbor start her car while she stayed warm inside. The things we men will do to impress and help a lady.

I went through the 67 and 78 or was it 79 bizzard, boy! Was that something! And went through the great one here in 93 it brought back memories for sure.

Hope the crime is down since I left too.

Mackoo :D

#9 ·
All in all, when you look at it that way, not much to miss. :)

I missed the big one in 67 (I was in Denver and polishing my car in City Park in a T-shirt for that one) but I remember all the rest.

As for the one in 93, I was driving from Columbus OH to Chi on I 70 and I 65. Remember it all too well.

I also remember when Raleigh, NC got about 19" of snow in late Jan of 2000. I flew into RDU about an hour after it opened and looking out as we were coming in, there were cars every which way!! Their primary method of snow removal is solar. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.