1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Had power failure duringSP2 install - trashed!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kprance, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kprance

Kprance Thread Starter

HP desktop running XP pro, webroot spysweeper (paidversion)

Hi, and thanks in advance for any help that you may provide me. I had posted on here yesterday in the security section, trying to get some help with a virus that my security software couldn't fix & a HJT log. I didn't get any responses, so in desperation I turned on the microsoft "auto update" to see if they might have some new security patch or something. I forgot and left the "auto update "on.

I turned on the computer this morning this morning to get back at it. I went to feed the cats, and when I returned there was an "update" pop-up saying that MS was installing SP-2. The "progress bar" was at about 65-70% finished ( I seriously THOUGHT that I already had SP-2 - because I had had dificulties getting it to work with the HP CMOS). I thought that I might as well let it finish the install & see what happened.

Right at that moment we had a power failure in the neighborhood. when the powe came back I rebooted the DSL & Router, and turned on the computer. ALL it will do now is: The windows logo page comes up then the sytem info B/W page. Then it flickers a few times and starts booting up again. It just keeps doin this. As I never get access to the "start" menue, the only way to turn it off is to cut the power.

I have tried most all the options under F-8 & F-1 keys, but it does nothing different for "last best configuration" or "safe mode" etc. Sure hope someone can help (Then i'm back to the virus issue!) (working off a laptop here)

Thanks

2. bbearren

bbearren

I suggest a repair/reinstall if you have an installation CD. That will get you up and running, and then you can get back to dealing with the other issues.

3. Kprance

Kprance Thread Starter

I have the original (early) XP pro disc, but I am terrified over the prospect of loosing files or emails. I have a lot of medical and financial records on that computer which would ruin me if I lost them. Plus, i'm not at all optimistic about the system accepting the disc. I have seen several sets of intructions on this site for a system repair/re-install. Which ones should I use to save my files/mail? Any chance that I could download SP2 to a disc (on this laptop) and then finish the aborted install?

Thanks again!

4. bbearren

bbearren

Make a drive image of the disk before you start the repair/reinstall. BootIt NG runs from a floppy and doesn't need Windows in order to work. That will save everything on the disk as it now exists (after the munged SP2 upgrade). If you have an external USB drive, you can save the image file there. You can also burn directly to DVD (it will take several).

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm

As for the repair/reinstall guides, I like this one:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897

5. Kprance

Kprance Thread Starter

i cannot get the comp. to boot from the CD drive with the XP pro disc. I tried setting the Bios setup utility to boot from the disc. The CD light comes on and I can hear it spinning for several seconds, but nothing happens onscreen except the same windows logo screen and then the b/w info screen. I have no idea what BootIt NG is, or how to "make a drive image of the disc". I have no external USB drives.

6. Kprance

Kprance Thread Starter

can't anyone tell me how to fix this? It seems like someone somewhere whould have a contingency plan for a power failure during an sp2 install? getting this particular computer back online is pretty much a life or death issue with me due to medical (and associated financial ) records of recent heart surgery that are (exclusively ) on it. Also- The only computer that I have access to that has both a floppy drive and a CD id the one that is down, so I can't dowload a "floppy" from this laptop.

Thanks again

7. bbearren

bbearren

The CD must be clean. The CD/ROM drive must be set as first boot device in BIOS. The CD/ROM drive must be fully functional.

Your power failure may have munged your CD/ROM drive, and you might need to replace it.

Also, if it has been a while since you have cleaned the internals of your PC, you may try a thorough cleaning and unplug/replug all connectors. That may restore your CD/ROM drive to its old self.

Another possible issue is that some hp and compaq PC's were inhospitable to SP2 without certain driver updates beforehand. Check your model on the hp website for SP2 related issues.

And if you don't have enough to think about, if your have a partial installation of SP2, a repair/reinstall may not work at all without using an installation CD with SP2 slipstreamed into it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!