1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Had" problem with taskbar tray icons missing and windows explorer lag

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Newuser12345215, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newuser12345215

Newuser12345215 Thread Starter

I solved this problem by system restoring but the question I have is what caused the problem? Could it be data corruption, malware, or something else? It seems to definitely be software related since I fixed the problem by system restoring.

I did not remember any major differences (software related) between the days this problem has not occurred and started occurring with the exception of a Windows Update for "Windows Defender" (it is possible for a definition update to cause these symptoms?).

About four days ago, I started Vista and noticed some of my taskbar icons missing (despite the fact that they're all loaded when I checked the task manager).

I followed this guide which said to go to

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \TrayNotify"

and then delete the values "IconStreams" and "PastIconsStream".

I did that and restarted explorer.exe, it worked and brought back my taskbar icons.

However it's not permanent (the problem comes back after I restart my computer) and Windows Defender never reappears in the taskbar even after I followed those steps.

On the same day of the problem, I notice windows explorer in general has been really unresponsive and slower than usual.

For example - when I go to "Start Menu" then open any folder, windows explorer lags for 40+ seconds (anything explorer related lags and is frozen) before the folder actually opens.

Another example - When I alt + tab from a full screen video game (doesn't matter which game), it also lags 40+ seconds before explorer responds and updates. Before this problem occurred, windows explorer rarely lagged or slowed down for more than 3 seconds (but now 40+ seconds).

I fixed the problem by system restoring but does anyone know why these symptoms showed up in the first place? I want to avoid it from happening again but if it does happen again how can I solve this issue without system restoring? Also I did a virus scan with Avast (custom settings, I set all the scan settings to highest) but found nothing during the period of problems.

Any help and info will be really appreciated, thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice