had sound, lost sound, ??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

davidreidok

I have a PCClub computer, Windows 98 Second Edition, MSI Motherboard with built in sound function, was getting sound on boot up and from CNN Video clips from their news page, I had some problems with network adaptors and may have deleted something to do with the sound. (Ended up installing a external Kingston ethernet adapter and did not use the on mother board one in order to connect to SWBell DSL modem) Have externel powered speakers and they are powered up and volume up.

I do not have the volume icon showing in my lower right bottom tray and did have it there at one time.

went to the multimedia properties drop down and the check box and title for sound video and game controller is grayed out, so I cannot check the box.

when I go to start accessories and click on volume control, nothing happens

Under system properties, device manager, soundvideo and game controllers, it shows:
VIA AC'97audio controller (WDM)
Wave Device for Voice Modem
as entriesl

I am pretty sure I have done something wrong somewhere as I fooled with QuikTime and Windows Media Player as both worked at one time and now they come up and do not do the sound and I cannot get the radio function on Windows Media player to work.

I am reading the books I have and so far am coming up blank.

Any Ideas or should I just take the unit back to the retailer that built it PCClub.

All help appreciated

Dave

When you go to multimedia>audio tab, use the drop down boxs to put Via audio (WAVE) as your selection and see if that does it.

davidreidok

Doyce,

Thanks for the advice,

I tried and still am not getting any volume or volume control in the tray

appreciate your help

dave

It didnt un grey the box for the volume icon? Try removing the sound card from device manager, updating the drivers and rebooting.

davidreidok

Doyle,

thanks again,

Nope it did not un gray the volume control.

I will what you suggest later tonight, have to run out for a while.

I certainly appreciate your help

dave

davidreidok

Doyle,

went to device manager, removed all the sound device drivers, rebooted and reloaded them.

suddenly, every thing is working.

You are the man!

and I appreciate the help

dave:)

If nothing else works, you could try going into the Bios (Where the onboaerd sound card is initiated from) and make sure it is set to on.

Hi I am having teh same exact problem as he was having.I was wondering if you could explain what the bios are and how I do that cause I haven't tried that yet!!!Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online