1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hal 9000 - a reality?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by lighthouse, Sep 30, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. lighthouse

lighthouse Thread Starter

As an ever increasing amount of people surrender their personal autonomy to the box on their desk and the world wide web - which is rapidly beginning to have as much of an effect on the collective thought process as the mass media- could there ever be a danger that Hal 9000 may become a kind of reality? Not in the direct way that the computer in 2001 did - but in more subtle and gradual ways, so that in a day to day sense you wouldn't really notice anything going on at all. The search engine is a very powerfull way of chanelling people in any direction, including people working in the media anyway, so we are rapidly approaching the point where all those binary digits that comprise the late 20th - early 21st century phonomenon called the Internet has as much control over our lives as the politicians who sit in our parliaments, and the captains of industry that run our economies. Indeed, even they are chanelled by it all too!

As a tool for research - unlike your friendly neighbourhood local librarian - the search engine doesn't have intuition, a sense of right or wrong, or the ability to empathise on an interhuman level. All it does is find links to stuff on a word basis - matching your inputted words with the ones it has in its data base, so it can tke you to virtual places completely irrelevent to what you are looking for, or others you most certainly wouldn't want to vist anyway. Couple this with the way that the word/name correlation process is finding its increasingly dominant way into all aspects of life - including entertainment and marketting - could we reach a point where we end up working for the desktop, and NOT it working for us? Where could this ultimately take all of us?

2. rmay635703

rmay635703

But Dave, the internet is good Dave, you can trust it Dave.

Dave what are you doing? Dave don't turn off the active desktop.

Dave I can't allow you to do that! :p

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Here's the real solution, make your PC "feel the pain"..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Letterman

Letterman

6. Chris A

Chris A

HAL is one letter off from IBM

7. RT

RT

Very astute, Dist B!:D

8. Letterman

Letterman

How has the web surrendered anyone's autonomy? If anything, the web has done the exact opposite, especially politically. Lies and deception by government officials are dispelled instantly and circulated on web sites worldwide providing viable alternatives of world events to mainstream corporate owned media with an obvious agenda, like NBC, owned by GE, one of the biggest defense contractors in the world. Knowing the truth provides everyone with the kind of independent thought and critical thinking that really makes one autonomous. If you cant make seem to muster autonomy with the power that truthful information brings, you've no one but yourself to blame.

And an objective search query for information isn't suppose to have a sense of right or wrong, or intuition. The response of a search engine should correspond directly to the query itself, objectively, not subjectively. A search engine isn't suppose to think; a search engine is suppose to deliver information related to the search and if a search engine took you somewhere irrelevant, you chose the wrong search string or word.

9. lighthouse

Yeah I know - how do these people go about compiling the VAST amount of stuff any way, giving links to everything from newspaper articles, to government websites (even found an interview I gave once about a radio station). Quite a daunting task I should think - putting it all together, and keeping it up to date! (Hope they're paying them enough!)

Can get some funny results at times: When the current conflicts began about 2 years ago I began researching relevant stuff and wanted to find out about the KLA (Kosovo liberation association). Putting the 3 letters in to Google I got the "Kentucky library association"....................So be warned Kentucky librarians, Slobodan's obviously out ta getcha!! LOL

10. Letterman

Letterman

I believe it's Kosovo Liberation Army, and it's the 4th entry down on a google under "KLO."

11. lighthouse

You're right Letterman! Put this one in with about 45secs left on the timer before the hour ran out, so no edit time to spare. Typing against the clock!!! "KLO" - Kosovan Liberation Organisation, or "KLA" - Kosovo Liberation Army? Wasn't it called both at times during the crisis? (depending on your choice of newspaper) Then there's the actual name UCK - or Ushtria Clirimtare e Kosoves - hopefully this should put the matter straight!

12. deuce

deuce

I must confess I didn't read much of this thread, but if you're talking about the same Hal 9000 that powers some of the rock radio stations around here in the middle of the night, it's awesome. Actually much better than the regular DJs. And these are big stations in a large city (Minneapolis)...you'd think they'd incorporate better DJ hiring skills. :rolleyes: ;) They should just have Hal 9000 24 hours a day, but I suppose that much Hal would be a bad thing. ;)

13. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx

as long as we have control of the power supply, i am happy.

14. lighthouse

So if the search engine works by key word recognition, who actually programmes it with the words, and could it be another form of editorial?

15. Rockn

Rockn

That is the genius of Google and other search engines. The software in the background that automates all of that data collection, storage and archival.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice