Hal.dll error on Win 98 but not on XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

libbrichus

Hi

I have a PC on dual boot with Windows 98 and Windows XP. There's only one hard drive with 3 partitions and Windows 98 is on C:\ and Windows XP is on D:\

Yesterday when I switched it on, instead of showing the OS Choice menu, it first gave me a boot.ini error and then a hal.dll missing error.

I booted it with a Windows XP CD, entered the Recovery Console and repaired it using bootcfg /rebuild command.

It then booted into Windows XP normally, but didn't give me the OS Choice menu this time, as expected.

I opened boot.ini and added the Windows 98 option which was missing (I'm not sure if I did this part right.) It now looks like this.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" \fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98" \fastdetect

It now gives me the OS choice menu and starts Windows XP normally, but when I try to enter the Windows 98 option it gives me the ,System Root.\sytem32\hal.dll missing error again.

Can someone please tell me what could be the solution to this. Also I know everyone's problem here is urgent, but since Windows 98 has my accounting software and today is last day of financial year, my problem is genuinely very urgent for once. Please help.

If I remember correctly, your boot.ini needs to look like this:
Code:
[B][boot loader]
timeout=30
default=C:\
[operating systems]
C:\="Windows 98"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect[/B]

libbrichus

Thnaks a ton. Changed the boot.ini accordingly. The solution above worked perfectly.

You're Welcome!

If your issue has been resolved you (and ONLY you) can use the Thread Tools at the Upper Right (above the first post) to mark this thread Solved.:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online