1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hal.dll problem in XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Moemen, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moemen

Moemen Thread Starter

Dearest TSG;

Few days ago, my XP pro displayed this message at startup:

[ The following file is missing or corrupted:
    'windowsroot'\system32\hal.dll
    Please re-install a copy of this file ]

And when you press any key, the computer restarts.

And as a daring knight, I inserted the XP CD, ran setup, and chose the Recovery Console option available at the start of the XP installation.

In this console, there's a limited set of commands you could use and you can't use any .exe file outside this set. I ran EXPAND on HAL.DL_ found in the XP CD, and overwritten the already present HAL.DLL in the SYSTEM32 folder. Unfortunatly, this didn't work.

I also couldn't run REGSVR32.exe from inside the console to register the dll file, since it won't let me.
    I also couldn't run XP in SAFE MODE, nor in any other mode available at startup.

What can I do?? and does reinstalling XP again over the existing one, will end me up in a fresh driver-less XP?

2. casper03

casper03

had similar problems recently and unfotunately had to reinstall
    xp but only after reformatting the c drive as there at least seemed .
    no other way to do it after trying every sugestion from the board

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice