1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hal.dll windows xp secondary hard disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tahafakhruddin, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tahafakhruddin

tahafakhruddin Thread Starter

hi,
    i have a lenovo desktop pc
    machine type:9851
    model number: 7VG
    i tried putting in a hard disk from my old pc to the lenovo and the old hard disk had windows xp in it.
    when i switch on the system it asked me to select operating system both the primary & secondary hard disk have windows xp in them.
    so im guessing the top option is the primary windows xp &
    the second option is the windows xp of my old pc.
    now the problem is that when i select the 2nd windows xp option it gives me a hal.dll error and it tells me to reinstall.

can anyone help me with this pls? i want to use the windows xp of my old hard disk and not the one that came with the lenovo pc.

thanks

2. dai

dai

remove the power plug from the lenovo drive

then

to do a repair install
    set the bios to boot from cd first
    pop in the disk
    reboot
    choose install
    ignore the first repair option [R] and continue with install
    when windows finds the previous installation
    then do the repair

3. tahafakhruddin

hi,

dai sir thank you very much for the reply it really helped me and my problem is solved but now im facing another problem that is i had applications that had 2 language support english & arabic (accounting application) now after the repair i can use the software in only english when i select arabic it shows me some weird language english words but not exactly english.
    could you please help me out with this ?

thanks in advance.

4. dai

dai

in the control panel under region and languages

check it is set correctly to what you wish

5. AtlBo

AtlBo

tahafakhruddin...have you installed the xp updates yet following the repair you ran? A Windows XP Repair removes all Windows updates (that's all it removes). I know there are some optional updates that have to do with language that can be downloaded, but there may be some other language support improvements in the updates.

Check to make sure you have SP3 installed in Add/Remove Programs. If not, Windows xp won't start the updates automatically since SP2 and before are not supported any longer by Microsoft. To get the updates started in that case, go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28

Download and install SP2. Next go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

Download and Install SP3.

To get all the updates all at once, once the SPs are installed, go here:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Select all the "High Priority" updates and install them. Then go back to the same link above as some of the updates are dependent on previous ones being present and won't show up until the prerequisite updates are installed on your computer. Make sure to get all the .NET ones, including the optional ones. Look over the other optional ones and download and install any of them that appear important, inclduding language support if there are any...

Hope this helps...

6. tahafakhruddin

@dai @atlbo - thank you very much :D all my problems are fixed thanks alot :D

7. dai

dai

glad you have it sorted

8. AtlBo

AtlBo

You are welcome:)!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice