1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Half life 2/Dark Screen/Video card??

Discussion in 'Games' started by dmcd, Dec 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmcd

dmcd Thread Starter

Hello! I have bought my son the above game for Xmas. When I have tried it out, the screen is very dark. While loading the game it said that his video card didn't have uptodate drivers. He has a Nvidia Geforce2 Mx/MX400 microsoft card and uses windows XP. Can you tell me where I can update his driver please?? I am confused as there seems to be so many types of video cards. thank you

2. betterpc

betterpc

3. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    I really do not know if that card will indeed run Half Life 2 very well or not but your drivers are at www.nvidia.com
    You should download the new drivers, uninstall the old drivers and then reboot and install the new drivers.
    I would give some thought to a newer video card that one is long in the tooth.
    Good luck and Merry Christmas.

4. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru

The engine is pretty scalable. You'll probably have to alter the command line to make it work though. I don't believe that card is DX9 compatible, which is probably your problem as HL2 runs in DX9 by default.

Right Click the shortcut on your desktop for HL2, or wherever you have the .exe/shortcut to .exe file it runs from, click 'Properties'. You should see text similar to this in the 'Target:' line: "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" Add '-mat_dxlevel 70' to the end of the line so that it looks like this: "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -mat_dxlevel70

Or just cut that out, and paste this in there assuming the original text was the same:

"C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -mat_dxlevel70

I really would suggest upgrading if it runs at all, because even if it does, it'll look like absolute crap. :(

For more HL2 tweaking, CLICK HERE.

5. dmcd

dmcd Thread Starter

SOLVED thanks all! I think I will look into buying a new video card for him!

6. cheese

cheese

7. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru

I KNEW it would run on it, just wasn't sure how well. And this is an MX (scaled down) model, not a Ti. That makes a huge difference. Are the GF2s DX9 compatible? That's another thing I wasn't sure of, which was why I recommended the command line I did. :)

8. cheese

cheese

Yes its MX (see sig.) Well ive installed DX9 awile back & games say i have it and skip its install, so i guess it is.

9. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru

Doesn't mean all the features of DX9 work....that's what I was trying to figure out. :cool:

10. RR4

RR4

I too have this dark screen. Just installed HL2.
    I have an ati radeon 7500.
    What do I need to do to make it run properly?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/311182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice