1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Half Ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaneo, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shaneo

shaneo Thread Starter

I have an issue with a 512mb Pc 100 SD Ram DIMM stick showing up as 260mb(approx).If i put 2x 512mb(=1024 mb) it shows up as 512mb or roughly 1/2 .Mobo paperwork says it should at least handle 512 Pc 100.

Mobo is ASUS P3w-e without AGP.
    433mhz Celeron CPU,

Nvidia Geforce4 MX440-se 64mb PCI Card
    running Win XP.

It's all running exceptionally slow and unstable. Mobo has the latest BIOS update etc. Have tried some spare Ram(2x32mb+1x64mb=128mb) but with Win XP this still has probs since XP needs at laest 256mb.The 128 does show up as 128mb though so I'm pretty sure it's simply a capacity issue.
    Any ideas?
    Shaneo

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

There are two figures you need to look at for the Mobo.
    The first is the total RAM supported, which is what I suspect you quoted.
    The second is the maximum per slot, which I suspect is 256, and there lies your problem.

3. mobo

mobo

Dave was spot on. See here for your board specs.

4. shaneo

shaneo Thread Starter

So though the board supports 512mb it doesnt mean it can in take it all in one slot ahh?The manual says,

"DRAM controller supports asymmetrical addressing and three DIMM sockets support Intel PC 100 compliant SDRAMs(16,32,64,128, or 256 MB) up to 512mb. (supports a max of 4 sides)"

So it seems that it supports a max of 256 in a slot "UP TO" a total of 512 overall, correct?

THanks for swift reply. Will post again when I've tried some 256 Ram.

5. mobo

mobo

If you download Aida32 it may tell you the max module size as some boards do .

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "16,32,64,128, or 256 MB" yup, thats right. This is common with old boards - these new high density chips didn't exist back then. You should be ok with a 256MB PC100 DIMM - Slap 2 of those in and you should be rolling.

Now, if you could only upgrade that CPU to a P3.....

7. shaneo

shaneo Thread Starter

and a 21"LCD and a DVD and a bigger.....oh where would it end.

:confused:
    Actually, i have considered that as this board can run a P3 600 but I wanted to sort the Ram issue first just in case the board was history.
    Thanks triple6,Dave and motherboard.
    Shaneo

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice