1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

half ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smartomatic3201, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smartomatic3201

smartomatic3201 Thread Starter

I just bought 2gb 2 x 1gb PC3200 400mhz 400 ddr generic ram for my MSI mobo, model number MS6738. I have a n ADM Athlon 2400+ processor, and I am running Windows XP.

As I boot up the computer after installing the ram the bios only tests 1gb of ram. When Windows pops up it too only sees 1gb of ram. According to Crucials website and the website of the manufacturer the mobo can take upto 2gb 2x1gb ram.

Thanks,
    Me

until then running around with half my memory

2. MarX740

MarX740

Try removing one of the sticks to see if the computer boots and sees the whole 1024mb. If it doesn't boot you've got a faulty stick of ram.
    Best of luck.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is it possible that the Ram you got is not the ram you paid for? In other words, did you end up two 512Mb sticks instead of two 1Gb sticks? When you say "Generic Ram," I would have been suspicious of this. Or it is possible tht the sticks are indeed 1 Gb sticks but will not work with each other. Or one of them is bad.

4. smartomatic3201

smartomatic3201 Thread Starter

I forgot to mention,

Well, each of the sticks have 8 ram modules marked as 128MB. I tried to pull out one stick and it only booted with 512MB ram. I tried this with both sticks and the same result occoured. The mobo only recognized 512MB for either stick. Then I put in one new stick with the one old 512MB PC2700 corsair stick and still the mobo saw 1GB instead of 1.5GB.

Each memory module of the new sticks have on the top
    -------------------
    | 128X8DDR P |
    | 0819 |
    -------------------

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I am not certain, but it appears that you have 2 512 sticks there. I am still a little unsure about your term "generic". Does this mean that these were unbranded with no manufacturer part numers or other Identification? There is another check you can do if you have acces to another computer that uses DDR ram. Swap these into this second PC and see what they identify as.

You can also leave the sticks in your computer and run Everest Free Edition. The free download is here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html it will identify the Ram and possibly even the manufacturer/ Speed/ and Capacity. I believe Belarc Advisor will do the same thing for you and then some. Here http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html It will run on all versions of Windows from Win 95 to Vista.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice