1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

half window

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by topper, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. topper

topper Thread Starter

hello all you good people--------i have windows95----once i log on to internet and click on internet explorer, it comes up as a small window-[thats ok] but when i click to enlarge in the upper right hand corner [ _ box and x] it gets big, but comes up moved almost a half a page to the right and i can't use my mouse pointer to move it anywhere else--like it is stuck there, but when my window is small it works--i try using my pointer to enlarge screen and it doesn't respond--it isn't like my screen is moved but its only when i enlarge the window to normal size--its almost as if when you visit a site that has frames and you can see your main screen, and the directory is to the left of screen--thats how my screen gets and i can't move it except for file button and delete---

i downloaded adaware and did everthing there-----
    this started after i was getting hangups when i tried deleting more than one window-----I would eventually end up rebooting--
    would work for awhile then, when deleting an extra window it would hang--now i also get the trouble I mentioned above-

also i am not too computer savy like alot of you here, but have learned alot from you all. thanks alot donna

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. topper

topper Thread Starter

i did as you said--went to article-went to regedit---I found window placement, but not oldworkarea----i deleted the window placement---things are still the same---------thanks

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The two entries wouldn't be in the same window together, did you find the key...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\oldWorkAreas

\OldWorkAreaRects

Also, when the window is in "small" mode, are you saying that you cannot "stretch" or move it?. What happens when you right click on the taskbar button and select "move"

5. topper

topper Thread Starter

when in small mode--I did stretch it out--yippee---now when i go to hkey_current_user--I get as far as internet explorer, but see no desktop-----

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ok, I don't know what's up with the lack of that key in the registry-- but let's try this.

Stretch the "small" window to as nearly the correct "full" size as you can. Then close it by pressing the ctrl or shift key at the same time you click on the 'x'

Another trick which might correct this is to play with the optiions to "tile" or "cascade" the windows. You can access this by right clicking on the taskbar "arrow"

7. topper

topper Thread Starter

did what you said---control shift and x out-----clicked ie and came back normal--yahoooooooooo---thanks -------I really appreciate it-

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Great, but keep your fingers crossed, sometimes these "fixes" are only temporary -- :rolleyes:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice