1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HALLELUJAH!!!! now what?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jssch, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

OK after a scary reformat of the hard drive I was able to get my boot disk and get windows 98 back up and on the driive.

Now, since this is a fresh drive and new OS with no other programs added yet, is there anything I should do with Windows to ensure premium performance before adding the programs that I want back on the HD.

Are there any things that I should be aware of such as configurations, etc. ?

You guys are lifesavers by the way.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

my only suggestions would be

Don't load too much - do you really need all those little apps and programs you used to have?

i reformatted/installed a while back - and left most of the old stuff off

start with the big programs - office apps, browser, email, etc and work your way through - you want those to work well most of all, not the little stuff

i also did sequential backups (had lots of hdd room) so i could always go back one step if an install went bad - and it happened once or twice
    - so i have a clean W98 install
    - W98 plus Office2000
    - W98 plus Office plus IE6
    etc etc

takes some time but i haven't had a problem in 3 months and the PC boots and closes fast

3. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

So when you say back-ups, are you talking about using Back-up under the system tools?

4. Rockn

Rockn

First of all, make sure you have all current and up to date drivers loaded for all of your hardware. Next, do a defrag of the hard drive and de-select the option to optimize programs to start faster. Once the defrag is done, right click on My Computer and select the performance tab and click the File System buttonUnder settings for the hard disk, set the typical role to Network Server. Once you reboot you might want to go into Device Manager and change the settings for your CD-ROM and hard drive to enable DMA. Every time you install a new application run a defrag afterward because installs tend to throw a lot of temp files on the drive and remove them when it's done. Set up maintenence wizard to run the disk cleanup app nightly also.

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Purchase Norton Ghost and make an image of your drive. Then you'll never have to go through that process again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60036

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice