1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Halo for PC is running slow on FX 5900?

Discussion in 'Games' started by PCMan78, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I have a fast system with all windows xp udates. The system has been freshly formated about 4 days ago so there is no junk on it. Here is the system specs:

Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
    Abit SRX-8X Mobo
    512mb PC2700 DDR RAM
    80Gb Western Digital ATA 133 7200RPM HD (80 Wire installed)
    Asylum Geforce FX 5900 VGA Card\
    Creative Audigy Gamer Sound Card 5.1
    Logitech THX 5.1 Surround Speakers
    Dell Trinitron 21" Monitor
    Windows XP
    Direct X 9.0b

I can play Unreal Tournement 2003, Warcraft III, Aliens Vs Predator 2, and Medal of Honor at the highest resolutions and the highest detail level with no problem. The games play fast and great. I just bought Halo for PC and installed it. I opened halo and set the highest resolutions and highest detail. The game plays choppy and slow. I then lowered the res to 800X600 (which is still low) and set the detail to High. The game plays kinda slow, but better. I then proceded to set the res at 640X480 and I set the detail to low. I then played the game and it runs a lot better. Something is wrong with the game. It should play fine at high resolutions with the card I have. I also set Nvidia control center option to "Best Performance" instead of "Quality". Don't know why it would play wonderful on the other games, but play slow on Halo. Anybody ever heard of this problem?

2. brianF

brianF

3. McTimson

McTimson

That's a very informative article, make sure you give it a read, and check your Anti-Aliasing and Anistropic Filtering settings.

4. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

In my situation, I played around with the setting some and found out that the "specular" setting set to off helps my game play better a whole lot. The game still doesn't play like Unreal 2003 or Aliens Vs. Predator, but it is still a lot faster.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

In the Halo programs folder there is a readme.rtf file. Check that out and make sure you have installed the latest Motherboard drivers for your system, if used. They might not have been reinstalled following the format.

I've been running Halo on a P4 2.53ghz, Radeon 9700 Pro, 512mb system with all the graphics goodies maxed out at 1024x768 both 16 and 32 bit color and have not had the slightest problem with slow game play, just an occasional 1 or 2 seconds delay during session "loads".

By the way if you ever figure out how to get past the elites in "Find the ship's brig and rescue Captain Keys", let me know. I've played the game through in "easy" mode, but this is killing me in "normal".

For what it's worth I've had two "crashes" during game play; one in vorbis.dll at the end of a check point (this is an MS sound dll) and one exception in Halo.exe itself right at the very end of the game, where you get out of the warthog and run through the barriers.

Good luck with that. Try not to flip the hog on the way there and don't stop for anything and you will make it :)

6. Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow

I have the same config Rollin' Rog except 1 gig and no problems without any special tweaking. Maybe the real problem is the Nvidia card? Maybe it is time to trade up to ATI?

...ok that was cheap but I couldn't resist.

Have you fixed this problem? By the way, you gave a lot of specs but you failed to mention which version of Detonator you are running?

7. smad

smad

I dont understand this. I have an athlon XP 2000+ with 512mb SDRAM and ONLY a geforce2 mx 64mb and I have NO problem running halo at good resolutions. I also have NO problem with pax payne at 1024x768. No slowdowns at all!!
    Why is it that guys with latest geforce cards cant run games that i run on my little geforce 2 64mb?? I love this card :)

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

He didn't say whether his motherboard chipset drivers were reinstalled after the Format.

By the way folks, watch out if you install that Halo Patch 110-101.exe. It will wipe out your check points. Had to do a System Restore to recover mine. I'd suggest creating a test profile and trying it that way if you really want it.

9. Dukelow

Dukelow

Just got Halo. It has only just become available in Ireland. Its really one thoes game where its a case of "I will just see whats around the next corner before I switch it off." and next thing you know its 3am!!
    As for peformance issues my game seems to run fine at the res before 1024X768 (cant remember the figures!). Things start to get sluggish though after that. Im still tweaking!
    Also I have noticed that when I have the pistol equiped and I hit the zoom that the zoomed in imaged is all dark and blured and there are wierd lines at the bottom and right hand side of the screen.
    Upon launch of the game it does tell me to update my video card driver so I have just downloaded the drivers and I will see if this helps.:)

10. optimummind

optimummind

The reason it's running well is because your Halo is being run under Pixel Shader 1.1 and not PS2.0.

The newer DX9 cards will activated PS2.0 by default when Halo starts. So, if I were to change the setting to PS1.1 from PS2.0 on my game, I would get a major boost in speed and performance.

BTW, it's not just nVIDIA cards. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB and the game gets sluggish once in a while in huge fight scenes.

11. Dukelow

Dukelow

What are the noticible differences between PS1.1 and 2.0?

12. optimummind

optimummind

PS2.0 uses lots of bump-mapping, especially in Covenant buildings that will cause major lag. The differences are slight but you may notice some visual differences in the game world.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice