HALP!! I can RECEIVE but Can't SEND

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sharp213

You guys, this is the most annoying thing in the word. I can't seem to upload anything. If i to attach a file to an email, it won't send it will time out. If i don't attach anything the email sends with no problems. If I try to post a picture or file on a message board, again it just times out. Also, if I try to send a file to a friend on an IM it usually says I can't establish a direct connection with the user. My only guess would be that the problem lies somewhere in a firewall/proxy. But get this, I'm on a LAN at my university and the "helpdesk" people say there is no firewall!!! AHHHHH!!!

Please respond if you have a clue or have experienced a similiar problem. Thanx guys/gals.

sharp213

Hmmm....a University without a firewall, I really doubt they don't have one. Is your email through the U as well? If it is they are blowing smoke. Ask them if there are any limits or restrictions on your email account. If there is a size limit that is probably your problem.

Sharp:

First of all; (level-1) helpdesk people are trained chimpanzees. Do not rely on the for technical info. If the University doesn't have a firewall, someone needs to be fired!

Do you (or does the university) have Norton AntiVirus running? Norton's email scanning feature will sometimes "block all outgoing email" with attachments. Even if you "turn-off" NAV, the emnail scanning feature "locks itself" into your email client software. You should first check into this. I'm pretty sure that your problem is related to an email scanning anit-virus feature.

I have the same poblem. SO what do I do to Nortons to correct thtis problem. It is crazy......... I have high speed internet but I can't send an attachment.

Dude:

Go into NAV's config section and set incoming email scanning to "off". It's been a while since I've used NAV, so if it doesn't allow you to turn-off the "send scanning" and leave the receive sanning on, then you'll need to turn-off "all email scanning". Then, whenever you receive an email attachment; save it to a temp folder and scan it manually before opening it. This will keep "infected files from getting into your PC.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online