1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hamstrung with new Dell inspiron 14R

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by panamahat, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Hi --

I'm having a couple of problems with my new Dell Inspiron 14R.

Most important at the moment, I installed my copy of Office 2007, twice, and still can't find it. I've looked everywhere I can think of on my C drive. Naturally, the program files, downloads, etc. A limited version of word 12 seems to have a few demo files but those are the only Word references I can see. I know Word is somewhere in the bowels of my computer, if I could just figure out where.

The other question I have is trying to find the equivalent of the sidebar function (the list of items that run along the bottom or, in my case, the left side.) In previous versions of dell, there was a bar that included a search function, a button to see all programs, and a shut down button, I can't find any of these.

Hoping someone can help me out with these 2 problems?

Many thanks,
    Jane

2. Rearden

Rearden Banned

You don't have shortcuts in the Start menu? There are no files in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\?

The Office Shortcut bar is not included with Office 2007.

3. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Hi again,

I don't have a Start menu. That's one of the questions I was asking about. I DO have something strange called Start Page, which shows me a bunch of applications and ads and popups. I'm actually trying to find a way to delete that as it's crazy-making. That page allows me to select desktop or messaging or some other things. When I go to the desktop, there's no Start menu. There's nothing where i can turn off the computer, for example. I've been using the power button.

As far as Word, I sent myself an excel file and when I opened it, the office setup screen came up and installed the whole shebang. I had downloaded the file but it wasn't showing in the downloads pane. It took an office file to prod the program into rising to the surface.

Thanks for responding. If you have any suggestions for me about the Start Menu, I'd very much appreciate them.

Jane

4. Rearden

Rearden Banned

I'm guessing you're running Windows 8. I'm not familiar with it. I would assume there would be a tile on the Modern UI pointing to Office.

5. raybro

raybro

Assuming you are running Windows 8, you may want to take a look at this sticky by TerryNet on the Windows 8 forum

6. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Thanks so much. I was thinking most of my problems were with Dell but it seems they're with Windows 8. Just when you begin to think computers are your friend, they up and change the OS on you. :)

Jane

7. raybro

raybro

Yes, Win 8 is quite a change from previous Microsoft OS's.

As you have probably seen already, there are some things you can do to make it more like what you are accustomed to. Everyone has their own like and dislikes.

On the plus side, I do find Win 8 to be very stable, fast and easy to use once you get used to the changes.

8. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Yes, well, most of the screaming in our house has subsided, so I think I'm catching on to some of (definitely not all) the new features of Windows 8. I do recommend the sticky you told me about. Very well done and helpful.

Jane

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!