1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Handwriting font

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by foxygrandma, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foxygrandma

foxygrandma Thread Starter

I have Windows XP, Home Edition, SP2, and IE6, SP2.

I have been wanting to install a font that I got off the Web. It is called Font dragonfly.zip. I have been wanting a handwriting font, which I do not have, and this seemed the closest.

On your site, I read this: To install the fonts you go into the font folder in the control panel and click 'file' - there you will see 'install new font'. Click it and in the box that opens navigate to where the fonts you want to install are. You can high-light all of them and click install

But when I go into the Control Panel, and select Fonts, there is not a folder, it just lists the fonts from A to Z. Lucinda used to have a nice handwriting font. But I cannot find it, except for a price. Anyway, how would I get the Fntdragonfly.zip into the list of fonts listed in the Fonts on the Control Panel.

I read on here somewhere that Nero’s file Explorer solved their problem. I went to the website, and they want $80. No thank you.:eek:

Thanks(y)

Anna Ruth

2. michael_jii

michael_jii

oki doki, extract the contents of the ZIP folder to somewhere handy, ie, desktop or my documents and then drag and drop the font files into the foldr in control panel

3. foxygrandma

Thank you, MIchael. Tried a couple of times and each time I would try to drag into the control panel, the control panel would disappear. Will try tomorrow. Almost 2 am here, and I am weary. Thanks again.

4. Jag11

Jag11

Try this.

Unzip the font first. Then, go to this folder "C:\WINDOWS\Fonts", then click File » Install New Font.

5. foxygrandma

I opened the Windows Fonts, dragged the dragonfly icon into the window and got a message unable to install the font, that it is either invalid or damaged. After I opened the font icon, also tried to drag the fonts into the Windows fonts, but it did not work. Guess I need to look for another one. Thank you so much. (I probably did everything backwards!)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I did a search on Google, and the first entry I found this had this link, dragonfly.zip so I downloaded it. I unzipped the font and double clicked on it, and got the Windows font display sample, all looked good.

I opened Control Panel, Fonts, File, Install new Font. I navigated to the dragonfly.ttf file I extracted from the ZIP file and clicked OK. The font installed normally. Unless something broken on your system, it should work for you too. If you're using the wrong process to install the fonts, you can download them all day, and you'll never get one installed. :) Give it another try.

7. foxygrandma

I did a search on Google, and the first entry I found this had this link, dragonfly.zip so I downloaded it. I unzipped the font and double clicked on it, and got the Windows font display sample, all looked good.

I opened Control Panel, Fonts, File, Install new Font. I navigated to the dragonfly.ttf file I extracted from the ZIP file and clicked OK. The font installed normally. Unless something broken on your system, it should work for you too. If you're using the wrong process to install the fonts, you can download them all day, and you'll never get one installed. Give it another try.
    Thanks much, John. Will try tomorrow. Getting really tired now. When I go to Control Panel and Fonts, I cannot get to File as the desktop is in the background. When I press on Fonts, all it shows is all the fonts from A throughZ. Anyway, tomorrow will try again to go to Windows, and Fonts, and see what I can do. Thanks so much. Maybe I am "unzipping" it wrong. The icon is on my desktop. I click on it and that takes me to Dragonfly.ttf. I open that and it shows the fonts. Oh, I see something I had not seen before. To the left of the Dragon.ttf is an extraction thing (do not know what to call it). So I extracted it, and the icon changed to blue T and says True Type font file. So maybe tomorrow it will work. But I still cannot go through the control panel, so will try the Windows font icon tomorrow. Whew! I am worn out now. And also embarrassed.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have to open the FONTS folder. It'll look like any other explorer window with a bunch of fonts listed. That is when you use the File menu and install the font.

Don't worry, all of us started as beginners at one point. :D

9. foxygrandma

:) Thanks, JohnWill.

10. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

After you click on "fonts" in the control panel and it opens, look to the top left of the window and click on "file." That is where "install new font" is located.

Just wanted to make sure you were looking in the right place. :)

11. hewee

hewee

You can also use a fon without installing it. If you do not want to install lots of fonts but would like to use lots of other fonts then do this.
    You have to open the font file by clicling on it and keep the font file open.
    Then from what ever program your using look tru the font list and it should show up.
    If you do not see it then look for other and when you get the other box that comes up look tru that list and the font should be listed there.

I just used the dragonfly font by opening it like I said above and I never had to install it.

Attached Files:

12. foxygrandma

Thank you HeeWee. Just tried that On Microsoft Word and it worked. Now will see if I can install it. Sorry to be late in answering. Had a few problems for a couple of days. Thanks again.

13. foxygrandma

Thank you, Laura. But when I go to Settings, Control Panel, and click on Fonts, all that appears are all of the fonts listed, and the desktop is in the background, and I cannot get to File, as it does not appear. Something must be wrong with my computer.

14. foxygrandma

Hi, again, HeeWee, and all. I just went to the Windows fonts folder and dragged the Dragonfly into the folder, and got an error message at first that there was no such font (words to that effect. ) I tried again, and it worked. Went to Microsoft Word and it is there.

Thanks all you great people!:)

Did I put this in the wrong box? I keep forgetting if I should use the top of the message quick reply or the bottom one. Will have to make a note to myself somewhere on the computer.:eek:

Have to scoot for a while. Mucho gracias.;)

15. hewee

hewee

Your welcome foxygrandma. Yes it does work and I use it a lot so I do not have to install fonts I use now and then and I keep them in a "other fonts" folder so I know that they are fonts I don;t have installed.
    This is good because I have use of all these added fonts but they are not loading at startup. Not good having to many fonts installed because they load at bootup.

But I have 98 and you can not drag fonts into the font folder. You have to install them.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice