1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Handwriting Recognition Software FOR SCANS

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Transformer, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Transformer

Transformer Thread Starter

PLEASE NOTE-THIS IS NOT PEN- or MOBILE-RELATED!!!!!! THIS IS PC-RELATED!

Looking for software which recognizes handwriting from a SCANNED TEXT DOCUMENT. I scanned in one doc and both Word and Notepad translated it as gibberish. What's out there for me???

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Probably not much.

Even commercial OCR (Optical Character Recognition) applications costing hundreds of thousands of dollars would struggle, due to the immense variations in handwriting styles

http://cslu.cse.ogi.edu/HLTsurvey/ch2node6.html

3. Saxon

Saxon

4. Transformer

Transformer Thread Starter

That's what I'm looking for, the ReadIris. I do not need the cursive recognition. Thanks for the link. But before I spend $100+ on this software, I'd like to see some reviews. Where do I go to find reviews of software?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Don't get your expectations up too high. While they may claim great things for the software, I suspect you'll be seeing a lot of mis-read characters...

6. Saxon

Saxon

Here is a review

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/productivity/0,39024190,39205236,00.htm

and an extract from the review about handwriting: -

Readiris Pro 10 is an excellent application, but its recognition of hand-written material is disappointing -- especially considering the company’s bold claims. In our tests, the accuracy rate was only around 85 percent. However, results can be improved by avoiding retracing and broken characters, and by not creating open loops in letters that should be closed. Speed and accuracy in the other standard OCR tests was much better. For instance, it took just 45 seconds to convert a 15-page document into a text file, with very few errors.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Handwriting is very problematic, and the style of the writing can affect the accuracy in a big way.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!