1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Handy Tip for Edge & Google

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by SilverSurf, Jan 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverSurf

SilverSurf Thread Starter

Hello All

I use MS Edge but prefer Google as my search engine, below is the best way I know of having both (it was given to me by a friend) and I thought others may be interested. Delete the existing Edge shortcut on your desktop first.

How to: Place Microsoft Edge Shortcut on the Desktop
    The method below uses a shortcut link to launch Microsoft Edge in one of two ways. To do so:
    Highlight either one of the following using your mouse.
    To have Microsoft Edge open a blank page when you click on it, highlight this text:
    %windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge
    To have Microsoft Edge open Google (for example) when you click on it, highlight this text:
    %windir%\system32\cmd.exe /c "start microsoft-edge:https://google.com"

Right click over top of the text above and select Copy from the dialogue menu.

Go to the desktop and right click on an empty space, then select "New -> Create Shortcut" from the dialogue menu.

The "Create Shortcut" window will appear. Look for the heading which reads: "Type in the location of the item", right click into the input field, and select Paste from the dialogue menu. It should output what you highlighted in Step #1, then click Next.

For the name of the shortcut, call it "Microsoft Edge", then click Finish.

Now it's time to change the icon for the shortcut as it will currently be using either the Windows Explorer icon or the Command Prompt icon, depending on which text you highlighted in Step #1. To change the icon, highlight the text below:
    %windir%\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe

Right click over top of the highlighted text above, then select Copy from the dialogue menu.

Now, go back to the desktop and look for the Microsoft Edge shortcut you just created. Right click over top of the shortcut, then select Properties.

The "Properties" window will appear. Go to the Shortcut tab, then click on the "Change icon ..." button.

The "Change icons" window will appear; at the top of the window you will have an input field. Right click into the input field (over top of the already-highlighted text), and select Paste from the dialogue menu. It should output what you copied in Step #6.

Click the OK button; the Microsoft Edge icon should now appear in the "Change icons" window. Select the Edge icon, then press OK, then click Apply on the next window.
    You should now have a shortcut to Microsoft Edge on the desktop.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice