1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hang after "setup is inspecting your hardware configuration"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ctallman, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ctallman

ctallman Thread Starter

When I try to install windows xp pro, it picks up the fact that the CD is in there, and it'll come up on the black screen and say: "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration" for maybe 20seconds, then that message disappears and it will sit there and do absolutely nothing...

2. rawmeat

rawmeat

Welcome to TSG!

What kind of PC are you using? MY guess is that some or all of your PC hardware is too old for XP to run on. XP is very picky about what it will run on. You need to check the hardware compatibility list for your hardware devices (CPU, video card, CD, etc.). If yours is not on the list, then you won't be able to install XP.

3. ctallman

ctallman Thread Starter

my system:

ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deulxe
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+
    2x 512MB DDR XMS Series RAM
    80GB SE WD Hard Drive
    nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB DDR
    16x Sony DVD Drive
    52x40x52x LG CD-RW

that good enough ???? :)

it was working just great till a couple days ago... then it wouldn't open the sound mixer, so I tried to reinstall the chiipset drivers, uninstall them, so on, so forth... then decided I'd just reinstall XP... and this is when this problem came about.

4. mobo

mobo

Try it with just onboard sound and video (without those cards installed).

5. ctallman

ctallman Thread Starter

there is no onboard video, only onboard sound...
    and I don't have a sound card installed, I onlyuse the onboard

6. drfter

drfter

I had that problem in my (ongoing) battle with my computer. What alleviated this particular problem was obtaining the setup disks from this page, and using those until it went to the CD. That worked fine (up until it said it wanted to reformat my hard drive, but that's just so my problem never gets solved :p).

7. ctallman

ctallman Thread Starter

this never happened before...

the other night, just all of the sudden, my nforce2 soundstorm control panel wouldn't come up, although I still had sound... I tried reinstalling the chipset drivers (nForce2) several tiems, even uninstalling/installing...

booting from a CD has worked just fine before...

I think I'm goin to goto linux for a little while anyways...

8. mobo

mobo

I would uninstall the card and drivers at the same time and maybe even remove the card for a bootup then power down replace the card , reboot and reinstall the software for it..

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!