1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hang up on boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mtrvideo, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtrvideo

mtrvideo Thread Starter

I recently installed a Gigabyte P4 GA-81dX motherboard and P4 1.8 processor. The system appears to boot but at various times the system just hangs and no keyboard response is recognized. Upon pressing reset, it looks like it's going to restart but the screen just stays blank. If I shut the system off and restart, a similar thing happens, however, if I shut the system off for at least a minute, it appears to boot normally until ...wham...the system hangs up again. What am I not seeing?

Pat - Moments to Remember on Video

2. Rockn

Rockn

Could it be heat related? Do you have a good heatsink CPU fan combo and has it been installed correctly? These processors generate insane amounts of heat and if you don't have thermal grease, good heat sink and a fan that can move that heat off you are looking for a meltdown.

3. mtrvideo

mtrvideo Thread Starter

Apparently it is heat related. I had installed the heat sink fan that came with the processor, however it wasn't 100% secured and there was a space between the processor and the fan. I ended up calling Intel and they are sending me another fan. The one that came with the cpu had levers on it that kept snapping off. Hopefully, they will send some new grease with the fan. If they don't, can I buy some at any computer store?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Pat

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice