1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hang ups

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ctuna, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctuna

ctuna Thread Starter

Not sure this is the correct forum but here goes.
    When installing a new program once in a while I run into a program that will load but not play and hangs up the system.
    The latest is Partition Magic. I am sure the problem is in my system, but am at a loss to know how to troulble shoot the problem.
    I loaded the program will all programs that run in the back gound turned off and the anti virus was also off. The partitions on the hard drive were defrag and all were within 99%. Ran scan disk and found no errors. Ran Norton Works 2002 and found no errors.
    The program loaded, but when I try to run it, the first screen comes up and then everything stops and you have to turn off the computer and reboot to get going again.
    The system is 800 Intel CPU with 256 Ram with windows 98SE.
    Any ideas on how to work on this problem?
    Ctuna

2. ctuna

ctuna Thread Starter

After much work I found out if I started windows in the safe mode the partition magic program would work and do its job. Fixed the partitions I need and will let the problem final fix wait for a while.
    Please consider this file closed.

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

I know you closed this one but I thought I might give some general info in case anyone else has this problem.

1) Make sure you were turning off your programs using msconfig then rebooting and not just end tasking....not everything running shows in the task manager.

2) Update drivers and install all software patches from manf website. You would be amazed at how many problems are fixed with patches no one remembers to download.

If you were truly running a clean system then pretty much the only thing left would be a driver conflict of some kind.

good luck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116628

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice