1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hanging at BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Metalfrenchtoast, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Metalfrenchtoast

Metalfrenchtoast Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Just recently put together a computer on an ASUS P5N-D motherboard. Everything was working fine up until my CD/DVD RW drive was opening, but not showing up in windows. I rechecked the cable connections going to the CD/DVD drive, and when I powered my system on, it hung at the BIOS. When I reset the computer, I got a constant beep. Calling ASUS tech support, I was told to reset the CMOS and try a different power supply. I've also tried swapping out RAM and moving it to different slots, and also installed a different video card. I was able to get it back to the BIOS splash screen with the standard beep again with a different power supply, but it still just hangs there. Actually, after resetting the CMOS, I can get it there on the original power supply too. If I reboot when it hangs, I get the beep again. If both of my power supplies aren't dead, what's the cause here? Is my board dead or maybe defective?

Thanks.

Specs:
    ASUS P5N-D Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8Ghz 3MB 1066FSB
    Galaxy Geforce 9600 GT w/1GB RAM
    2 X Wintec Ampx 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
    Ultra LSP650 650w Power Supply

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

Disconnect the cd/dvd drive.

3. Metalfrenchtoast

That was the first thing I did.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do the following;
    1 Open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
    2 Disconnect all usb type devices; ie printer, scanner, hub, etc
    3 Pull out any add-in cards such as sound, nic, etc. Leave your video card connected
    4 Pw ON the system and see if it will successfully complete post. If it does, then shutdown and connect devices one at a time until you find the problem device. If it does not complete post in the above config, then you will need to swap parts with known good units ie mb, ram, pw supply.

5. Metalfrenchtoast

Well, tried what ya told me, crjdriver, and it appears my mobo died. Such a tragedy. I didn't think a board would still give you error beeps if it was kaput. Put everything back in my old rig and am currently re-installing windows, everything seems to be running fine so far.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

MBs can fail in may ways; failed capacitors, failed/blown VRs, etc. If it was overclocked, that contributes to the failure of the board. I see you had a nforce mb. I have never been a fan of third party chipsets; IMO you use an amd chipset for an amd build and an intel chipset for an intel build. When you use third party chipsets like via, sis, or nvidia, you are adding another layer of complexity to your build.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice