1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hanging computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drron, Nov 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drron

drron Thread Starter

(As in freezing, not as a chad!)

I have a Gigabyte GA-5AA, v1.1, with an AMD K6/2-350, 256MB RAM that hangs frequently. I might turn it on and have it hang before it fully boots up, or it might run for 8+ hours before hanging. I can't seem to relate it to any one program that happens to be running, either.

I've tried removing the sound card and I've used different modems, but this didn't seem to affect anything. The only thing I haven't removed is the Diamond Viper V550 video card.

Any suggestions as to what might be the cause? And how to fix it?

Drron

2. slipe

slipe

What do you know about chads in Texas?

Your easiest fix might be a format and clean install – works wonders.

First try DocMemory – runs stress tests on your RAM: http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp
    How could you turn down a $100 value, FREE for a limited time even if you had no use for it.

Could be the video card. Have you looked for updated drivers?

3. beach51

beach51

Hi drron,could be your power supply cord.

4. drron

drron Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.

A few months ago, my power supply quit on me so I migrated everything to a new case/power supply. No improvement.

A few weeks ago, I replaced my harddrive with a new one, formatted it and installed Win 98se (upgrade). No improvement.

A week ago, I replaced the RAM chips with new, larger one. No improvement.

Someone suggested that it doesn't seem to be a software problem, since none of the programs I've tried, such as Dr Watson, WinFix and AntiCrash5.0, have ever reported any errors that resulted in a crash.

I forgot to mention that I have two case fans, plus the CPU fan/heatsink, which should be enough to keep it from overheating.

I guess I'll have to get a new video card to try, since I have the latest drivers for this one?

Drron

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice