1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hanging on shutdown and standby

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rcksgrl, Nov 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rcksgrl

rcksgrl Thread Starter

Hello! I'm new. I'm a woman on the edge! I sure hope someone can give me a clue:confused:
    I know this post may be long winded, but I want to include all the info I can to paint a clear picture of my problem.
    I have had this computer since June 1998 with no real problems. It is a Gateway GP6-400 with an Intel Pentium II running Windows 98. I go away last weekend and come home to a possesed computer. The symptoms: 2-3 minute hang on shutdown, 3-4 minute hang on standby and the same when woken up from standby mode, (no problems with restart), 1-2 minute hang upon opening Microsoft Word Documents, Adobe Photodeluxe-not reponding, RealPlayer-not responding. I also noticed a month or so ago that my memory on the C drive was almost used up 6.43GB used out of 7.85GB. What happened over the weekend? My babysitter ran scan disk-no big deal. She also burned about 15 cds with Hotburn copying them to the hard drive then to the E drive. (Although I am under the impression that Hotburn erases all temp folders that it creates when you close the program...I could be wrong)
    What I've tried already: I ran defrag. I updated Norton and scanned for viruses, found nothing. I downloaded critical updates for windows. I upgraded to Internet Explorer 6 (because it was there). I cleared my history and dumped a bunch of unnecessary jokes and cartoons I had cluttering up My Documents. I emptied my Temporary Internet Folders and Dumped the Temporary Downloads Folder. I removed programs and games no longer in use and saved information from my email folders that I wanted to floppy disk. My pie graph for C drive now reads 3.54GB used out of 7.85GB. I went to msconfig and disabled fast shutdown. I took unnecessary programs out of start up. At this point I remembered installing Photodraw for Microsoft, but that has been about a month ago and none of these symptoms were apparent directly after that install, still...with the word program hanging, I figured maybe I managed to mess up Microsoft Office 2000. So I wanted to uninstall Photodraw, but it had integrated itself into Office and was unreachable. So I went into Office and ran installation repair. When that didn't help I uninstalled and reinstalled Office. No change. Running out of ideas, I went to housecall and did an online virus scan. It found 3 infected and uncleanable files, all jokes. I deleted them all, and commenced to get ticked off because Norton had missed them. A well meaning friend then directed me to a download online called AutoExit 4.0. I downloaded it but it wasn't a patch for Windows as I was hoping, but a seperate program for shutting down. I don't want to keep it. I want to get Windows back into shape and shutting down and going on standby normally. During my adventures looking around in the computers files, I stumbled upon Dr. Watson. (Didn't even know I had it) Ran that and it told me the following: Adobe Type Manager has altered Windows System Files. Module Name: ATMSYS.DRV and a version number. I tried to uninstall Adobe Type Manager, but couldn't. I located the program on the C drive under program folders and when I tried to open it I got an error message saying it couldn't be opened. AAARRRGGHHH! That's where I am now. Out of ideas and still haven't budged the problem. I don't know if the viruses are capable of doing this? I don't know if the Word Documents hanging are a seperate problem? I did look at the properties for Adobe Type Manager and it was put on the system in May, so it wasn't a recent addition. As for Adobe Photodeluxe and Realplayer not responding...who cares, really, I could live without both programs, but I mentioned it because all this happened at the same time. I don't get it. I don't know where to turn next. Can anyone offer some suggestions please before I tear my hair out?

2. rkselby98

rkselby98

First I would try cleaning the hard drive. Instructions can be found on my site at:

http://www.rselby.com/Windows.html

Follow the instructions followed by the 3 red * and also the instruction for msconfig. They all are on the same page.

As for Adobe, try reinstalling the program over top of the one already installed and that should repair all corrupt files. If not you should be able to uninstall it. Uninstall it and then reboot and reinstall it. This should cure your problems.

Have a nice day,

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Run System File Checker (SFC) - Start; Programs; Accessories; System Tools; System Information; Click the Tools menu; Click System File Checker.

Description of the System File Checker Tool (Sfc.exe)
    The information in this article applies to:
    Microsoft Windows 98

NOTE: This article is for informational use only; it does not contain any troubleshooting information. If you are searching for troubleshooting information that is not referred to in this article, please try searching the Microsoft Knowledge Base again by using keywords that are listed in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

Q242450 </support/kb/articles/Q242/4/50.ASP> How to Query the Microsoft Knowledge Base Using Keywords

SUMMARY
    This article describes the System File Checker tool in Windows 98.
    MORE INFORMATION
    System File Checker checks for damaged or replaced system files, and then prompts you to replace any files that do not match the original Windows 98 files.

To start System File Checker, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, click System Information, and then click System File Checker on the Tools menu.

Click one of the following options:

Scan For Altered Files
    Extract One File From Installation Disk
    NOTE: If you click Extract One File From Installation Disk, you can specify the file you want to extract.

Click Settings, choose the configuration you want to use in System File Checker Settings, click OK, and then click Start.

For additional information about how to use the System Information tool in Windows 98, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q184075 </support/kb/articles/Q184/0/75.ASP> Description of Microsoft System Information (Msinfo32.exe) Tool
    Additional query words: sfc
    Keywords : kbtool diskmem win98
    Issue type : kbinfo
    Technology : kbWin98search kbWin98

4. rcksgrl

rcksgrl Thread Starter

Styxx,
    I ran the system files checker and it gave me a clean bill of health. I guess that's a good thing. Under settings;advanced, it had an option to restore default system info. I thought about doing that, but didn't want to take such a big step quite yet. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

Rick,
    I have printed out about 7 pages from your sight and I'm about to embark on a mission to clean my hard drive. I will let you know the results. I appreciate your help as well.

Thanks,
    Erika

5. rcksgrl

rcksgrl Thread Starter

Rick,
    I followed your instructions under "total hard drive care for most pcs". There were twelve hundred and some temporary files that I dumped. And I mean completely. The only place I ran into trouble was in C:/Windows/Temp. There were a bunch of files in there that I had no idea what they were... like .log .bak .tag .aab .dat. I didn't delete anything that I didn't know what it was. (I left most of it intact, just deleted the .tmp files and a bunch of files named Microsoft Office Setup). I got to the end and ran defrag. The computer froze up solid at 66%. I couldn't budge it so I had to restart.
    It's still hanging on shutdown, standby, and Microsoft Word. (I uninstalled Adobe photodeluxe and Realplayer.)
    Here's a big concern: Since I did all that, when I click on My Computer, I am no longer seeing my D drive (CD Rom) or my E drive (Burner). They have vanished. I feel panicky, should I be panicking?
    Awaiting your response,
    Erika

6. rkselby98

rkselby98

The files you left in the temp folder is ok. Some could be deleted but I wouldn't worry about them right now. Later you can go delete them a few at a time and leave them in the trash for a few days and if everything is ok then empty the recycle bin.

Ok now to your problems. It sounds like you deleted some files in the temp folder that shouldn't have. You might have to restore all files from the recycle bin, reboot and then delete the temp files first.

To do this go to start, find, files or folders and type in *.tmp and click find. High light all the files it finds and hit the delete key. Reboot and then go into the temp folder and see what is left and slowly delete them making sure what your deleting as you go.

Sorry about your problems. That is why I stated in the instructions to be careful which files you delete.

7. rcksgrl

rcksgrl Thread Starter

Hi Rick,
    Thanks for the quick response. Here's the bad news first. Yours truly didn't have the good sense to keep those files in the recycle bin. I emptied it when the directions said I could but didn't have to. I was sure all the files in there were .tmp. I even scanned down through them in the recycle bin before emptying it to double check. So they're gone.
    There is a bright side. Since my computer is a Gateway, I decided to try there free 1-800 tech number to see what they had to say. They managed to get my drives back and I'm back to square one. (With lots more memory on Drive C thanks to your site)
    Unfortunately, they were unable to solve my hanging problems. We even went into MSDOS mode and tried to restore the computer to a certain date last week and it failed.
    So now they are talking about reinstalling Windows 98. I hate to wipe out my whole system over a hanging problem. Do you think that is what I should do?
    Yours,
    Erika

8. rkselby98

rkselby98

Erika,

Sorry to hear that we are back to square one. I will have to go back into my site and hightlight "do not empty the recycle bin".

Now as far as a reinstall. It is quite hard for me to say for I really don't know what is on your computer that you would want to save.

You have a cd rewriter and if you have your system backed up to cd you might be able to restore from the cd back up if you made one. If not is it a good idea in the future. I do and by doing so if I have a problem in about an hour my system is back up and running.

If you don't have a back up on cd and if you can make one, then I would suggest doing a reinstal of windows. That way you know you will have a clean slate to work with.

If you decide to do this you can email me and I will work you through it step by step and help you in any way I can.

9. rcksgrl

rcksgrl Thread Starter

Hi Rick,
    Sorry so long to reply. Busy with kids and holiday stuff.

I really don't have anything on my system that I can't part with. I had some pictures I wanted, so I saved them to floppy disks and I backed up my gator files which hold all my passwords and login names. I still have all the software disks on hand to reinstall the programs I want. The more I think about it, the better it sounds. I do need to clean out all this stuff that I never use.

Since I have a Gateway restoration disk, I can call the 1-800 number and have them walk me through it on the phone for free. So I think I'll bring the system back up that way. Thanks for your offer of help. I hope I can still ask you some questions though. I have some concerns about doing this. I will have to get my scanner and printer back up and on the system. I think they'll help me with that because I bought both from them, but my burner was added on later and not purchased from them so they already told me I was on my own with that.

Also, I got into this conversation with a radio shack repairman today (while I was there buying CD-RWs) and he told me that it is NOT a good idea to download windows critical updates from the Microsoft sight. He said if I was happy with the way windows was running, I shouldn't download any updates into it because it's just asking for trouble. The old 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' theory. What is your take on that?

I'm in the process of preparing for the restoration. I don't know what will happen with the holiday. I hope to be back up and running by then. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks so much for your help. It's nice to know there are people out here who are willing to help others without taking advantage of their already meager pocketbooks. :)

Yours,
    Erika

10. rkselby98

rkselby98

If that is the case I would do the restore. To do it insert the cd, reboot, you will get a menu asking what you want to do. Choose the format and then install. It will put the machine back to the way it was when you brought it.

These directions may not be word for word but the will be close. Very easy to do. Then all you have to do is add the other programs you have.

Reboot after you install each new program and you will not have any problems.

Rick

11. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

If the only problem you are having now is "hanging on shutdown"... I'd simply hold the shift key down while shutting down. That may take care of it

Savvy :)

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It rather sounds like this problem may be related to Advanced Power Management. You may have to disable this in Windows or in the BIOS, at least for test purposes.

Try the procedures in step 7 of this Win98 Shutdown troubleshooter:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q202/6/33.ASP

You may also want to try some "cleanbooting" using msconfig to bypass startup files.

13. rcksgrl

rcksgrl Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to post to let you know that all is well in my world once again.
    I saw the other posts (thank you) but it was already too late. I spent all evening last night backing up various files and applications and this morning I finished that up and called 1-800Gateway to restore the system.
    It didn't exactly go smoothly. They kept wanting me to hang up and call back during some waiting periods, and you can never talk to the same person twice. I drew a bad tech when it was time to reload. My first clue was when he told me to click on any modem I wanted because it didn't matter which one we used. ANYWAY, long story short, he messed me ALL up and I had to erase the hard drive the second time and restore again. When I got the next guy on the phone (and he was brilliant) I didn't let him hang up on me and we got the system up and running smoothly with NO PROBLEMS! Can you believe it! I'm thrilled! I'm so glad I did this. My system is running like a champ and everything is great! I downloaded Internet Explorer 6.0 and I'm all up to date. Now all I have to do is download Microsoft Office and I'm just about back to where I was before everything went ka-put. (Minus all the unecessary games and other software I never used).
    I want to thank everyone for their help! This sight is wonderful. I'm telling all my friends about it.

Rick,
    Now that everything is running perfectly, you said I could back up my system...is there a place on your sight that gives step by step instructions for that? I have a burner (I haven't got that up and running yet, but I don't anticipate problems) and some CD RWs ready to go.
    Thanks,
    Erika

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice