1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hanging on shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 12tipp12, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 12tipp12

12tipp12 Thread Starter

Hello folks n happy new year, my problem is this, i run several pc,s of various makes/models all on xp sp2 and every so often at least one or more of them hangs at the windows is shutting down and i have to manually turn the pc off, if i have a good clean-up and defrag it seems to sort it for a while, im wondering is there a way to solve this problem/annoyance completely, any help/advice/suggestions will be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Bill.

2. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

some running processes will stop the shutdown process

there way too many to list them all

but one of the common ones are Dragon naturally speaking

if it is running and you sry to shut down, the program will stop you from doing it

try this

go to start
    click on run
    type in msconfig
    press enter
    click on selective startup

uncheck the box that says "Load startup itmes"

apply ok and restart

if you have any problems using msconfig, you can instantly undo the changes made by msconfig by opening the msconfig window then selecting the "normal startup"

3. 12tipp12

12tipp12 Thread Starter

Hello inuyasha320, many thanks for your help, i will do that and see if it works.

Bill.

4. cvoc13

cvoc13

i too have four laptops that after SP2 upgrade i have to go though the Start button choose shutdown 5 times...each system...i have noticed that as below (above) resolve says Dragon Naturally Speaking is on all my systems, but also mine w/o does not shut down, that culprit seems to be audible.com download manager...thank you \

But what is the real permeant fix? anyone have a cure that does not mean or need to get into sysconfig?

5. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

the only fix I have found for this problem is just the running the program when I need it and not having it in my start up

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice