hanging on shutdown

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

12tipp12

Hello folks n happy new year, my problem is this, i run several pc,s of various makes/models all on xp sp2 and every so often at least one or more of them hangs at the windows is shutting down and i have to manually turn the pc off, if i have a good clean-up and defrag it seems to sort it for a while, im wondering is there a way to solve this problem/annoyance completely, any help/advice/suggestions will be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Bill.

some running processes will stop the shutdown process

there way too many to list them all

but one of the common ones are Dragon naturally speaking

if it is running and you sry to shut down, the program will stop you from doing it

try this

go to start
click on run
type in msconfig
press enter
click on selective startup

uncheck the box that says "Load startup itmes"

apply ok and restart

if you have any problems using msconfig, you can instantly undo the changes made by msconfig by opening the msconfig window then selecting the "normal startup"

12tipp12

Hello inuyasha320, many thanks for your help, i will do that and see if it works.

Bill.

12tipp12 said:
Hello folks n happy new year, my problem is this, i run several pc,s of various makes/models all on xp sp2 and every so often at least one or more of them hangs at the windows is shutting down and i have to manually turn the pc off, if i have a good clean-up and defrag it seems to sort it for a while, im wondering is there a way to solve this problem/annoyance completely, any help/advice/suggestions will be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Bill.
i too have four laptops that after SP2 upgrade i have to go though the Start button choose shutdown 5 times...each system...i have noticed that as below (above) resolve says Dragon Naturally Speaking is on all my systems, but also mine w/o does not shut down, that culprit seems to be audible.com download manager...thank you \

But what is the real permeant fix? anyone have a cure that does not mean or need to get into sysconfig?

the only fix I have found for this problem is just the running the program when I need it and not having it in my start up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online