1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hanging on Windows XP startup screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by scroogle, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scroogle

scroogle Thread Starter

Hi, I am using a laptop I am not very familar wth but it has been working fine for a few years until recently whenever I turn it on it gives me choices to start normally or safe mode, and whichever I choose, starting normally the loading screen loads infintely or loading the required drivers for safe mode stalls after Mup.sys

I have looked around and tried to boot from the winxp cd to attempt a repair console but as soon as I switch on the computer it almost immediately goes to the safe mode selection screen after flashing "Toshiba" for a few seconds, and from here I can't do anything. I can't get into BIOS, or bypass anything.

There might be a quick keyboard command I am not aware of but I seem to be stuck in a loop.

The computer is a Toshiba Protege A100.

Any suggestions?

2. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

When a computer appears to hang on mup.sys it has actually successfully loaded mup.sys Which is the Multiple UNC Provider driver which determines which network client protocol to use when the target server is specified by a UNC path such as \\Server_Name. ) and is hanging at the next item to load.

Normally in a hung boot the next step would be to boot to the recovery console and check the ntbtlog.txt (or do this in safe mode if you can boot to safe mode) and find the cause; but generally when it freezes just after mup.sys it has not even started to write the log.

Most mup.sys hangs are caused by Extended System Configuration Data (ESCD) stored in the system BIOS (The ESCD maintains a static list of Plug-and-Play resource allocations. This avoids recalculating all the allocations at each restart. If the ESCD gets corrupted, then the operating system cannot assign resources correctly. Windows makes this resource decision just after it loads the Mup.sys driver because that's when it loads the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) drivers.)

There are several options at this point depending on whether or not you can boot to safe mode.

Lets assume you cannot.
    The first step would be to clear your bios cmos (you unplug the computer, open the case and move the clear cmos jumper to the clear position for a couple minutes or remove the cmos battery which looks like a nickel overnight) then close up and boot to your bios setup (you know how it says press del to enter setup or something similar on the screen after it beeps ) choose to load optimal defaults and save settings and exit.

Alternatively you could boot to the BIOS and change the plug and play os setting from non plug and play os to plug and play (or vice versa) save settings and exit. May have to change it back again and it should rebuild and let you boot.

If you can boot to safe mode; then the solution is to disable devices in device manager (generally PCI cards, and video card , onboard sound, ethernet) and then boot to windows normally . If you succeed you enable them and restart one at a time until you can't boot. Then use device manager to "remove" the device and restart and let it be redetected and hope that solves it (if not, remove in device manager, shut down and physically remove it from the computer, restart , shut down put it back in and boot up and let it be discovered).

Here is a good article I extensively quoted to make it easy to explain
    http://mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=729

3. scroogle

scroogle Thread Starter

Thanks, I might try that, but first, as of now I cannot get into my BIOS. The computer switches straight away to the menu to load safe mode etc. without giving me a chance to press delete, or any other command to access the BIOS.

Basically I'm asking how much potential damage I could do (assuming I do it correctly) by resetting the CMOS when I can't access the BIOS to begin with? Or I am to understand that resetting this switch internally will cause me to be able to load the BIOS?

Thanks.

4. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

Try shutdown all the way and when it first boots and goes beep start hitting the del button.

Do you know what bios you have? Do you remember seeing that flash by (Del , F2..)
    Resetting the bios should by default bring you to a setup screen the first time you boot, although some models just auto load optimal defaults .

I would try to access it first and if you can tell make and model we may be able to find the key combo for you.

5. scroogle

scroogle Thread Starter

Thanks alot. F2 worked and I could choose to load a CD before the safe mode menu, and the recovery console commands fixboot and fixmbr fixed my computer.

Greatly appreciated.

6. jamisicus

jamisicus

Same Problem as Scrooge. When I start up the computer and put it into safe mode it gets to MUP.sys and resets. How do I fix this please.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/619056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice